I was mean to my goose

Here Am I -- Where Are You?: The Behavior of the Greylag Goose. Lorenz et. al.

You might want to read this book.

I uh, think she's in love with you.

The gander who loved me demanded that I greet him properly, like another goose would. This involves bowing deeply as if inviting the goose to bite your nose off, and gabbling. One needs courage and a willingness to look absurd. If you and your goose-love are out of each others' sight for even a minute you have to do it again, and this is an enormous nuisance, but if I didn't he'd attack. And yeah, I would lose my temper sometimes and throw him and feel bad about it. Don't feel too bad.

He never tried to mount me in spite of my encouraging the romance. My performing 'the truimph ceremony' with him and preening each other (erm, me petting him and him delicately nibbling the seams of my clothing) seemed to satisfy.

This was never a very convenient arrangement. He was a jealous creature and would be sweet on me while trying to drive everyone else away from me. And he had a goose mate and would do this hilarious horrible thing where he'd sneak away from her to be sweet on me, and then abruptly be noisily and ostentatiously horrible to me when she came along and saw us. She never seemed to care.

Last edited:
I should clarify, I only meant try banding then while you carry, so that you could carry them one handed easier. I don’t band mine I just hold their mouths shut if they’re trying to chomp me when I’m holding them. I’ve had some fat lips from a naughty goose more than once 😯
You’ve got some extra spicy cobra chickens!

Back
Top Bottom