Stellasmomma

Songster
May 23, 2022
Hello Chicken friends! I picked up these lil ones from my local TSC they were labeled as Araucana's I have not had good luck with getting the breed I thought I was getting this year. I purchased silver laced Sussex and got Black Marans LOL ( I wanted Marans so that turned out well! ) this is just one of several breeds that were not what I thought I was buying. So with these lil ones shouldn't they have have little ear or cheek tufts? I am new to the breed so any help is much appreciated. If this is not Araucana's what do you think they might be? I know its early yet but if you have a guess that's great!

Attachments

• Arucauna1.jpg
    Arucauna1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 9
  • Aura 9.jpg
    Aura 9.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Aura8.jpg
    Aura8.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Aura7.jpg
    Aura7.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Aura6.jpg
    Aura6.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Aura5.jpg
    Aura5.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Aura4.jpg
    Aura4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Aru 3.jpg
    Aru 3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Auru 2.jpg
    Auru 2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 4
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure but those look like buff Orpington to me!

This is a pic of my little Amerucauna Sweetheart, which should look similar to an Araucana with the little cheek fluff. And for comparison, my Buffies are in the second pic - they're the all yellow ones.😉

Attachments

• 20220823_122427.jpg
    20220823_122427.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220725_093356.jpg
    20220725_093356.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 5
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure but those look like buff Orpington to me!

This is a pic of my little Amerucauna Sweetheart, which should look similar to an Araucana with the little cheek fluff. And for comparison, my Buffies are in the second pic - they're the all yellow ones.😉
Thank you! LOL just my luck I have got the wrong breed 4 times this year its comical at this point! I guess I still need Aracuna's! I am sure I will enjoy the Orphingtons! I did finally get some Easter eggers which I am excited about they are in the brooder with these lil ones that is what made me suspicious as the eggers have the little cheek tufts and these didnt! At what age do you think you it would be good to post a follow up so I might be able to confirm they are Orphingtons?

Thank you! LOL just my luck I have got the wrong breed 4 times this year its comical at this point! I guess I still need Aracuna's! I am sure I will enjoy the Orphingtons! I did finally get some Easter eggers which I am excited about they are in the brooder with these lil ones that is what made me suspicious as the eggers have the little cheek tufts and these didnt! At what age do you think you it would be good to post a follow up so I might be able to confirm they are Orphingtons?
Hahaha it's easy to do at places like TSC... I swear half the time they don't even know what they're selling! The Orpies will be great, the 4 in that pic grew up to be the most adventurous ladies in my flock. (See pic of them visiting my horses, which is a hike from the coop 😆) I would say it's most likely you've got buff Orpies but wait until about 6 weeks and then you should be able to sex them as well. 😉

Easter Eggers are super cute and so much personality - I've got two, named Taco & Burrito, because they're spicy. 🤣

Attachments

• 20230315_165005.jpg
    20230315_165005.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 5
Hahaha it's easy to do at places like TSC... I swear half the time they don't even know what they're selling! The Orpies will be great, the 4 in that pic grew up to be the most adventurous ladies in my flock. (See pic of them visiting my horses, which is a hike from the coop 😆) I would say it's most likely you've got buff Orpies but wait until about 6 weeks and then you should be able to sex them as well. 😉

Easter Eggers are super cute and so much personality - I've got two, named Taco & Burrito, because they're spicy. 🤣
ITs so funny I have never had this happen in all the years I have got chicks from them! this year it has happened with both TSC and Coastal! It keeps things interesting! Sounds like the Orphies will be a good addition! I love a confident chicken. So far the Eggers have shown great personality and no fear they seem to actually enjoy being held and talked to I will make sure I update in a few weeks!

Auaucana have no tails so that should be your first flag. They have a terribly high morbidity in the shell so no commercial hatchery is going to mess with them. Flag number 2. Flag number 3 is you would pay $20 for a straight run chick from a breeder.

Auaucana have no tails so that should be your first flag. They have a terribly high morbidity in the shell so no commercial hatchery is going to mess with them. Flag number 2. Flag number 3 is you would pay $20 for a straight run chick from a breeder.
Good to know well we will see what I end up with I think Buff Orphington is a good guess looking up photos of them

Back
Top Bottom