I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a single Cayuga drake?

clarka19

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
Hello everyone I’m new here.

To start off there is a back story on why I’m only looking for a single cayuga duck.

Over this past weekend I came home from my 12 hour night shift at work to let the boys out for the morning and realized that my boyfriend had fallen asleep before he got the chance to bring them in from the enclosure to the coop. Already upset because he put my boys at risk of any predators during the night time, I walk over to the coop to give them more food and some fresh water and I noticed only two of the boys came inside (a welsh harlequin and a white layer). I asked them where their brother was, (a cayuga) and obviously they couldn’t tell me. I started to panic and looked behind me to see if he got out while I opened the door, he was nowhere in sight. I then looked at the boys to see if they had any blood on them to see if anything got to my cayuga and decided to leave the other two alone but they had not a drop of blood on them. I then took a walk around their enclosure only to find my sweet cayuga stuck with all of the life drained from his body. (they are all fully grown) It was obvious that he has been dead for at least a couple hours and I’ve come to the conclusion it was hypothermia. I live in western new york and so far this winter anytime the temperature dropped below 25 degrees I brought them into the garage where it never got below 40. He was cold to the touch, and stiff as a rock. It absolutely broke my heart. The last time I saw my poor little guy was the morning before I discovered him because I had a bunch of running around to do that day and my boyfriend had always been reliable beforehand. I still don’t know when the last time he checked on the boys was because I’m so scared that I am just going to be devastated that I didn’t come home before work to let them in before I went to work so I have no idea how long he had been stuck for. The body heat must have gotten sucked out of his body from the freezing cold ground since he was stuck and wasn’t able to get up onto his feet. I am so devastated and I miss him dearly however I am so used to having 3 ducks that it just doesn’t feel right that I only have two of my boys left. I would really love to get another cayuga duck in memory of him. He was such a good boy and I feel so horrible that he was probably waiting for me to come save him and I never came. If anyone could help me out it would mean the world to me.
67A7F85F-3315-41B8-A75E-4FA8D4A76BFD.jpeg

this is an old pic but these are my babies:(

To start off there is a back story on why I’m only looking for a single cayuga duck.

Over this past weekend I came home from my 12 hour night shift at work to let the boys out for the morning and realized that my boyfriend had fallen asleep before he got the chance to bring them in from the enclosure to the coop. Already upset because he put my boys at risk of any predators during the night time, I walk over to the coop to give them more food and some fresh water and I noticed only two of the boys came inside (a welsh harlequin and a white layer). I asked them where their brother was, (a cayuga) and obviously they couldn’t tell me. I started to panic and looked behind me to see if he got out while I opened the door, he was nowhere in sight. I then looked at the boys to see if they had any blood on them to see if anything got to my cayuga and decided to leave the other two alone but they had not a drop of blood on them. I then took a walk around their enclosure only to find my sweet cayuga stuck with all of the life drained from his body. (they are all fully grown) It was obvious that he has been dead for at least a couple hours and I’ve come to the conclusion it was hypothermia. I live in western new york and so far this winter anytime the temperature dropped below 25 degrees I brought them into the garage where it never got below 40. He was cold to the touch, and stiff as a rock. It absolutely broke my heart. The last time I saw my poor little guy was the morning before I discovered him because I had a bunch of running around to do that day and my boyfriend had always been reliable beforehand. I still don’t know when the last time he checked on the boys was because I’m so scared that I am just going to be devastated that I didn’t come home before work to let them in before I went to work so I have no idea how long he had been stuck for. The body heat must have gotten sucked out of his body from the freezing cold ground since he was stuck and wasn’t able to get up onto his feet. I am so devastated and I miss him dearly however I am so used to having 3 ducks that it just doesn’t feel right that I only have two of my boys left. I would really love to get another cayuga duck in memory of him. He was such a good boy and I feel so horrible that he was probably waiting for me to come save him and I never came. If anyone could help me out it would mean the world to me. View attachment 2488664
Sorry you lost your duck.
When you say he was stuck..
How was he stuck? stuck on what?

Where approximately in the world are you located? There are usually a lot of people looking to rehome a Drake.
You could try posting on your state thread and see if anyone close to you has an extra Drake.

I can always find many adult ducks on Craigslist. Also, in my area, I can always find ducks on Petfinder in the bird section.

While it is lovely to adopt a drake, since many people don't want them/can't have them, your ducks might not accept him either, as @sourland stated. Personally I have added to my existing flock twice. The first time went smoothly. The second time they rejected the newcomer. Even after 2 years they never accepted her.

Sorry you lost your duck.
When you say he was stuck..
How was he stuck? stuck on what?

Where approximately in the world are you located? There are usually a lot of people looking to rehome a Drake.
You could try posting on your state thread and see if anyone close to you has an extra Drake.

The ground had eroded away during the summer from their water bin outside. He seemed to have gotten stuck in the only hole that is deep enough to actually cause one of them to get stuck and the water bin was just awkwardly positioned so it seemed like he wasn’t able to get out:/

I live in NY in the United States

Over this past weekend I came home from my 12 hour night shift at work to let the boys out for the morning and realized that my boyfriend had fallen asleep before he got the chance to bring them in from the enclosure to the coop. Already upset because he put my boys at risk of any predators during the night time, I walk over to the coop to give them more food and some fresh water and I noticed only two of the boys came inside (a welsh harlequin and a white layer). I asked them where their brother was, (a cayuga) and obviously they couldn’t tell me. I started to panic and looked behind me to see if he got out while I opened the door, he was nowhere in sight. I then looked at the boys to see if they had any blood on them to see if anything got to my cayuga and decided to leave the other two alone but they had not a drop of blood on them. I then took a walk around their enclosure only to find my sweet cayuga stuck with all of the life drained from his body. (they are all fully grown) It was obvious that he has been dead for at least a couple hours and I’ve come to the conclusion it was hypothermia. I live in western new york and so far this winter anytime the temperature dropped below 25 degrees I brought them into the garage where it never got below 40. He was cold to the touch, and stiff as a rock. It absolutely broke my heart. The last time I saw my poor little guy was the morning before I discovered him because I had a bunch of running around to do that day and my boyfriend had always been reliable beforehand. I still don’t know when the last time he checked on the boys was because I’m so scared that I am just going to be devastated that I didn’t come home before work to let them in before I went to work so I have no idea how long he had been stuck for. The body heat must have gotten sucked out of his body from the freezing cold ground since he was stuck and wasn’t able to get up onto his feet. I am so devastated and I miss him dearly however I am so used to having 3 ducks that it just doesn’t feel right that I only have two of my boys left. I would really love to get another cayuga duck in memory of him. He was such a good boy and I feel so horrible that he was probably waiting for me to come save him and I never came. If anyone could help me out it would mean the world to me. View attachment 2488664
I am in northern ny and my Cayuga hen has a clutch of 12 right now. This is the first time we are trying to let her hatch so idk how many if any will survive. Our drakes are mallard and a khaki. I’ve looked up how to sex ducklings but have not have much experience. Would you be interested in a duckling? Also do you know anyone in your area with hens? I’m in desperate need of added a few more girls to my flock. I would love a runner, Welsh harlequin, Ancona, or Swedish. I’m really open to anything other than the breeds we already have

Back
Top Bottom