Help with Welsh Harlequin Drake

DCC2615

Chirping
Oct 25, 2023
I need help this male is out of control. He bites us for no reason, he is aggressive to my other ducks female Welsh and my male and female Cayuga’s. He’s mean for no reason and I am fed up. I have two ducklings that will join the flock in a few months plus 2 more hatching this weekend, I am afraid he will try to kill them because he’s so nasty. He was great until he starting mating with the female Welsh funny though her first duckling is not his because it’s all black like my male Cayuga so apparently my male Cayuga and female Welsh mated when I did not know it. I do not know what to do about this? Suggestion? Help?

What is your ratio of female to male ducks? And when you say aggressive what behaviors does he exhibit?
I currently have 2 females and the 2 males it’s all I’ve ever had until recently and we’ve had just those 4 since April. The babies who are too young to join them are both girls. He snaps at both me and my daughter plus he bites us when we feed them change bedding or water. He bites the other ducks all of them and chases them. All my others are very sweet will even eat from our hand but not him. He used to never snap or bite me I was the only one he was nice to but now he’s mean to me too. All my others come running to me when I enter there area they know when I am bringing a treat…..he snaps at me

I currently have 2 females and the 2 males it’s all I’ve ever had until recently and we’ve had just those 4 since April. The babies who are too young to join them are both girls. He snaps at both me and my daughter plus he bites us when we feed them change bedding or water. He bites the other ducks all of them and chases them. All my others are very sweet will even eat from our hand but not him. He used to never snap or bite me I was the only one he was nice to but now he’s mean to me too. All my others come running to me when I enter there area they know when I am bringing a treat…..he snaps at me
How old is the drake? As they get older they do tend to get more territorial... And typically you want to have more females to spread out their attention a little bit more.
Someone else with more experience with drakes might know more though...

Back
Top Bottom