Can we keep Welsh Harlequin hens with a Muscovy drake?

MS_pond

Chirping
Dec 7, 2023
Hi all. New here and brand new to keeping poultry.

We're planning on getting ducks this spring, and tentatively settled on ordering (from Metzer) 6x straight run Muscovy, 2x female Silver Appleyard, and 1x female Pilgrim goose. We will keep only one male Muscovy.

After reading more about the breeds I'm thinking of switching the Appleyard to Welsh Harlequin. However, I understand that Muscovy drakes should not be kept with hens from lighter breeds because they're big horny bastards. Would Welsh Harlequin hens be too small?

Thanks!

My Muscovy drake weighs around 13 lb. He is no different than any other drake when it come mating they are all horny. His females Muscovy weigh around 4-6 lb and they do fine with him. It’s always a good idea to have a pool set up because mating in water is easier on the females but they do okay on dry land too. Don’t be surprised if he wants to mate your goose too. My Muscovy has never even tried to mate my other breeds Runner and Buff he’s perfectly happy with his Muscovy females. I also have a Toulouse female goose and he has never tried to mate her even after her mate died at age 14.

My Muscovy drake weighs around 13 lb. He is no different than any other drake when it come mating they are all horny. His females Muscovy weigh around 4-6 lb and they do fine with him. It’s always a good idea to have a pool set up because mating in water is easier on the females but they do okay on dry land too. Don’t be surprised if he wants to mate your goose too. My Muscovy has never even tried to mate my other breeds Runner and Buff he’s perfectly happy with his Muscovy females. I also have a Toulouse female goose and he has never tried to mate her even after her mate died at age 14.
Thanks for your response! So it sounds like it'll be okay. Yeah we have a half acre pond and plenty of space for them during the day.

Just remember when we bring home ducks , the predators will come out of the woodwork lol so make sure you have a secure house to lock them up at night.
And let us know when you get the duckings we love to follow along when they get home.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom