Is an all female flock ok?

We are on our second Welsh Harlequin drake- the first was in a mixed flock of Khaki Campbells and welshies, and we have moved to an all Welshie duck flock now.

Both of my boys were very good about keeping the girls together while free ranging, herding them into the coop if there was a hawk or other predator, and herding them to bed at night.

Our newer boy is smaller and more spicey than our last....
He will charge at me and stop 4-5 feet away and stand as tall as he can as he tries to stare me down - when they are out free ranging and I’m working in the area. He’s hilarious. No signs of aggression, just making his “presence” known lol.

I do hatch my eggs, so a drake is important to me. But my drakes have also done a good job of keeping the ladies in check.

I would have no problem keeping an all hen flock if I needed to, but I personally prefer a drake. And I also agree w the people above who mentioned waiting to make sure that your ladies are properly sexed.

Welshies and KC are fairly easy to reliably sex at hatch by beak color. The others (I believe) all need to be vent sexed which is reliable but somewhat difficult.

I’ve had great luck w Murray McMurray- they run a good good hatchery. Metzer is also good to work with for ducklings and will ship a smaller order.

And, there -are- people on CraigsList who care to do right by their birds, and their customers (like me), but you have to do your homework and ask questions for sure.

Enjoy your babies!!
There is no “wrong” answer here IMO 😊

Back
Top Bottom