Is an all female flock ok?

I have a mixed flock of runners and am done with incubating! Three years was enough with ducklings.
I have 7 females and plan to sell my boys next week. Is there any benefit to keeping one male? The mellowest?
Thanks
You don’t have to Incubate eggs nor do you have to let them sit
Collect each morning and problem is solved
You can eat fertile eggs as long as they haven’t been started there is no difference
We eat our eggs daily and I know my boys get my girls

I just let go of 7 drakes but kept two small Call drakes. I think they are cute is why I kept them and they are still separated from my 11 hens right now. I am not sure yet if I made a wise move in keeping them as I have not let them in with the hens. I had hatched out 4 drakes this year and I am done letting my Hens hatch any out as she throws off 99% males. It's hard to let go of sweet drakes but when they are so hard on the hens it makes it easier.

Last edited:
You only need a male if you want to have fertile eggs . I have an all girl flock 13 girl ducks, and four of them are runners , all very happy. No need drake
That sounds great!

I raised my runner ducklings with 2 goslings this year. For the first time I have one young, 4 month old male goose that prefers the company of ducks instead of the 15 other geese. I keep the adult ducks separate from the adult geese because drakes try to attack everything. I figure if I only have females,I can merge the geese and female ducks.

When I removed the young drakes from the goose area last week Louie Goose was extremely upset and still yells for his buddies in the other pen!

Social issues among the flock members is always interesting. But, to see Louie running around playing duck games while all the other geese are sitting together acting normally was really humorous!

I have a mixed flock of runners and am done with incubating! Three years was enough with ducklings.
I have 7 females and plan to sell my boys next week. Is there any benefit to keeping one male? The mellowest?
Thanks
I noticed when I didn't have a drake, the hens seemed to scattered around when free ranging.

That sounds great!

I raised my runner ducklings with 2 goslings this year. For the first time I have one young, 4 month old male goose that prefers the company of ducks instead of the 15 other geese. I keep the adult ducks separate from the adult geese because drakes try to attack everything. I figure if I only have females,I can merge the geese and female ducks.

When I removed the young drakes from the goose area last week Louie Goose was extremely upset and still yells for his buddies in the other pen!

Social issues among the flock members is always interesting. But, to see Louie running around playing duck games while all the other geese are sitting together acting normally was really humorous!

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpeg
    IMG_2289.jpeg
    666.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom