Is my Muscovy hen a cross breed? How can I tell and does that make her infertile??

Is there a definitive way to tell she's not full Muscovy? (I'm probably not going to bother the guy from CL.)
She looks purebred to me. Very pretty, too.

Should she be more developed in the caruncles/redness by now? Do some full Muscovy hens not get very red?
She is still young. Her caruncles will get a little bigger and redder in a few months.
Do Muscovy crosses lay eggs even though they're "infertile"?
They do lay eggs.

When do Muscovy hens start laying normally?
6-8 months.

ALSO, when the guy caught her for me she quacked! (She does do that sweet little noise girls make)

At first I took that as a good sign that she was a she as in my experience with other ducks drakes make the raspy noise and ducks quack and that's the best way to tell. Now I'm thinking maybe that's a sign she's a mix.
Female Muscovy ducks do a soft quack.

Anybody know if she will lay eggs if she IS a cross? I'm having a hard time finding clear info on this.
DSC06028.JPG
DSC06039.JPG
DSC06036.JPG
Yes, she will lay eggs. Here is an article from Metzer Farms about mule ducks (Muscovy crosses).

Source:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/mule-ducks.html
"

Mule Ducks or Moulards​

Muscovy and domestic ducks (such as the Pekin - which were developed from Mallards) are very different as they have been genetically isolated for over 50 million years. They can be crossed but you get some very interesting results. If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies.

In Europe and in Asia many mule ducks are produced because of their large size, quality liver and reduced fat content in the carcass. Artificial insemination has been developed in ducks due to the desire to produce mule ducks. If left to mate naturally, the fertility is only 20-30%. Artificial insemination brings the fertility up to 80%. Whereas a Pekin takes 28 days to hatch and a Muscovy takes 35 days, a mule or hinny takes 32 days to hatch.

Approximately 60% of mule ducks are males. Some of their characteristics are like the Muscovy as they are large, quiet, slow moving and have long claws but are also like Pekin as they swim well, the males and females are much the same size and they do not fly.

Hinnies are not grown commercially. Males hinnies are much larger than female hinnies, like the muscovy, yet the females look like Pekins but fly quite well.

Mules and hinnies cannot reproduce. Both males are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch). If you have Muscovy and Pekin together, the chances are poor that they will cross but if they do, a hinny will probably be the result as Pekin males can catch Muscovy females easier than Muscovy males can catch Pekin females.

We do not produce mules or hinnies but thought you might enjoy this material on this interesting aspect of duck production and genetics."

She looks purebred to me. Very pretty, too.

She is still young. Her caruncles will get a little bigger and redder in a few months.

They do lay eggs.

6-8 months.

Female Muscovy ducks do a soft quack.

Yes, she will lay eggs. Here is an article from Metzer Farms about mule ducks (Muscovy crosses).

Source:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/mule-ducks.html
"

Mule Ducks or Moulards​

Muscovy and domestic ducks (such as the Pekin - which were developed from Mallards) are very different as they have been genetically isolated for over 50 million years. They can be crossed but you get some very interesting results. If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies.

In Europe and in Asia many mule ducks are produced because of their large size, quality liver and reduced fat content in the carcass. Artificial insemination has been developed in ducks due to the desire to produce mule ducks. If left to mate naturally, the fertility is only 20-30%. Artificial insemination brings the fertility up to 80%. Whereas a Pekin takes 28 days to hatch and a Muscovy takes 35 days, a mule or hinny takes 32 days to hatch.

Approximately 60% of mule ducks are males. Some of their characteristics are like the Muscovy as they are large, quiet, slow moving and have long claws but are also like Pekin as they swim well, the males and females are much the same size and they do not fly.

Hinnies are not grown commercially. Males hinnies are much larger than female hinnies, like the muscovy, yet the females look like Pekins but fly quite well.

Mules and hinnies cannot reproduce. Both males are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch). If you have Muscovy and Pekin together, the chances are poor that they will cross but if they do, a hinny will probably be the result as Pekin males can catch Muscovy females easier than Muscovy males can catch Pekin females.

We do not produce mules or hinnies but thought you might enjoy this material on this interesting aspect of duck production and genetics."
Ahh, thank you so much! Everything I needed to know :)

I have a Mule Duck. She is very big, Drake was a beautiful huge Muscovy and Hen was a Rouen. I had three eggs that I finished incubating in my house after my broody Mallard gave up and was happy with her 11 ducklings. Two were Males and I kept my female but rehomed them. She has absolutely no red on her face but has the big rear claw, big gray body like the drake and head like a Rouen. She is very bossy and I was wondering if she was laying eggs. I am getting five a day now and I know one is from my Mallard and I have 2 Muscovy Hens and 2 Khaki Campbell Hens so the others must be from them since Mules are not suppose to lay eggs. I still love her though as I hatched her out in my living room the rest of the way and had to peel her out of the egg and wash her off as she was full of goo but she is just fine and funny to watch.

What a beautiful purebred hen. I would definitely breed her with a black male and watch the colors they will throw, lavender, greys and some black and whites.:)
If I get a drake I'll have to make sure to get a black one! Thanks for the lead, I love lavenders so much.

Back
Top Bottom