Can a Muscovy Raise Other Duck Breeds?

JewelBirds

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
I have a Muscovy hen who I was going to give two babies to once she goes broody. I was hoping to get sexed ducklings so I know that they'll be female. I don't want male ducks and would rather not try to find new homes for them (especially once mom and babies bond with each other). Everywhere I've looked don't have sexed Muscovy ducklings but do have that option for other breeds. I was considering some Welsh Harlequins. My concern is with their ability to communicate/bond with each other. Anyone have any experience with one duck breed raising another? Will they still get along if I get her a different breed for her to raise?

Yes, that's true. I will raise them myself if that happens, but I'm hoping she'll be a good mother if I introduce them carefully. She's very sweet and gentle with eggs whenever she's sitting on them (even without being broody), they're just not fertilized.

Did your Muscovy raise the babies as well? How did that go?

Yes they did 3 of them raised 15 and actually one of the females decided to make them her family and she’s been with them since 2016 she took on all the ducklings when the other 2 moms gave them up at 4 weeks old. They are all together during the day but my two oldest Muscovy females have their own coop since the runner drakes won’t leave them alone. They will be 13 in July.

Yes they did 3 of them raised 15 and actually one of the females decided to make them her family and she’s been with them since 2016 she took on all the ducklings when the other 2 moms gave them up at 4 weeks old. They are all together during the day but my two oldest Muscovy females have their own coop since the runner drakes won’t leave them alone. They will be 13 in July.
Thank you for the info. I guess I will have to see how it goes with her, but I'll be sure to have a back up plan in case she decides she doesn't want them.

Wow, that's awesome they've lived that long!

Back
Top Bottom