I will never order chicks through the mail again...UGH!! USPS rant!!!!

DEFINITELY pray for the chicks and my sanity!!!! Just spoke to my 11th agent and they have to track down my "case worker" and call me back...because, somehow, only a lady named Sammy at the USPS can magically open my MISSING CHICK file and find out where they are. Last info is that they left St. Paul at 8:30pm.
That's it.
Very efficient, USPS. NO ONE knows where they are at this moment.

hugs.gif

I too had great luck with MM every order (have had 6 separate orders in total) Chicks arrived fast and healthy. i recently ordered from Meyer and had the nightmare you stated above.

One thing I learned from that experience was that chicks are very resilient! I was expecting the worst when I received my babies THREE days after their hatch, as you are. The babies are built to endure this, they will absorb thier yolk and will be thirsty and hungry but otherwise okay. I only lost one baby on this particular order, and it was trampled (that was only the 3 immediate loss on over 100 mailed chicks in total).

I am confident that most of your babies will be fine! Be sure and offer water with electrolytes and dip their beaks as you put them in the brooder, this is VERY important for them to find water quickly.

Good luck and post pics!!!

Last edited:
For my first order of chicks I ordere from My Pet Chicken... I think it's like a branch of of Meyer or something? They hatched on Sunday, were shipped Monday afternoon, and I got them on Wednesday morning. After paying for Express Mail, about 50 bucks. My order took the least direct route possible, and my nails were totally gone by the time they got here! All five arrived alive, but three days later two passed away. One was the runt, and the other had some sort of vent problem- part of it was sticking out!! Anyways, I think I could have saved the runt if I had given them electrolytes, so definitely do that! I'm praying that they make it to you save and sound. Keep us updated!

Thank you for all of your support!!
They FINALLY arrived this morning at 11:00! My postmaster called me right away and I'm only a mile from the PO, thank goodness.
When I got them home, one was DOA...poor little Black Copper Maran. I ordered 16--they shipped 19, so I'm at 18 & all 27 from first order!!
Gave electrolytes in their waterer, dipped beaks, put out GrowGel, put out food and they went to town. Have them in a separate half of the brooder under a separate heat lamp--will open the brooder maybe tomorrow once they've recovered from their long ordeal.

Still completely PO'd at the USPS in general. Chicken Scratch Poultry said this happens all the time and in fact, this is common for them. All of their shipments went to St. Paul after St. Louis. They said they fight with the PO all the time but won't be able to get my $38 shipping back. What?!? It says "guaranteed one day delivery"--and this was 4 days!!

Since this seems to be the status quo for this hatchery, I will not be purchasing through them again. Whether they "can" live four days in that tiny box or not doesn't matter--they SHOULD NOT have to!!

Needless to say, I've got the breeds of these guys:
5 Lavender Orpingtons
5 Olive Eggers
3 Black Copper Marans
And then 5 Welsummers and Amerucuanas--haven't noticed the difference yet to separate. Both brown chipmunk-y looking.

PHEW!!!!
Thanks again for all the concern and prayers--I knew that starting this project there would be time, work, cost, etc....but I never figured anxiety and stress!!!

Sarah

Hi - glad you got them too! Hopefully, your copper marans chick will be replaced? Glad they are alright otherwise. The Ameraucana chicks may have beards or ear muffs, so look for more feathers or down on the chicks in that area. That will help you to separate the chicks from each other. My Ameraucana hen has the earmuffs!

Back
Top Bottom