I would like to know if anyone can identify what breed my rooster is.

GingerRose

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2022
Alpine, Alabama
This is Fabio.
A friend of ours has a flock of these, free ranging on her property. One of her hens hatched 7 chicks in an Alabama snow "storm", not a storm, just more snow than we usually get...
Only 3 made it and the hen disappeared.
She asked us if we would take these chicks and of course, we would...
Anyway, turns out we had a roo and 2 pullets. I traded the 2 pullets to my sister for 2 of hers. Fabio is a real gentle rooster. He is great around chicks too.
Nobody can tell me what breed he could be.. we think he may be a game breed, by the tail feathers.. if someone could help me out, I would appreciate it.
One of his hens hatched 7 chicks yesterday. I would like to be able to tell someone what breed they are, when I am asked.
I also have a photo of his hens. I can easily take more photos, if I need to.

Attachments

• 20210804_073819.jpg
    20210804_073819.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210804_073823.jpg
    20210804_073823.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220110_141445.jpg
    20220110_141445.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220409_114240.jpg
    20220409_114240.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
This is Fabio.
A friend of ours has a flock of these, free ranging on her property. One of her hens hatched 7 chicks in an Alabama snow "storm", not a storm, just more snow than we usually get...
Only 3 made it and the hen disappeared.
She asked us if we would take these chicks and of course, we would...
Anyway, turns out we had a roo and 2 pullets. I traded the 2 pullets to my sister for 2 of hers. Fabio is a real gentle rooster. He is great around chicks too.
Nobody can tell me what breed he could be.. we think he may be a game breed, by the tail feathers.. if someone could help me out, I would appreciate it.
One of his hens hatched 7 chicks yesterday. I would like to be able to tell someone what breed they are, when I am asked.
I also have a photo of his hens. I can easily take more photos, if I need to.
The rooster appears to be a Red Quill American Game. Those have a distinct red Transverse Pencilled pattern. His isn't a great pattern though, his has a more scaly type look, which does happen apparently. There's some pictures that have that pattern going on.

The hen is just a regular old Wildtype color. She reminds me of my Cracker Hens, but she not. Also a Gamefowl.

The rooster appears to be a Red Quill American Game. Those have a distinct red Transverse Pencilled pattern. His isn't a great pattern though, his has a more scaly type look, which does happen apparently. There's some pictures that have that pattern going on.

The hen is just a regular old Wildtype color. She reminds me of my Cracker Hens, but she not. Also a Gamefowl.
Thank you very much.
I wasn't sure if I should have kept the 2 pullets that came with him, I knew they were siblings.. My sister had some around the same age and sort of looked like him when they were 6 months old. I wasn't sure if they needed to mate, so I traded the pullets..
We love this guy, I think I should try to find some quality hens/pullets for him.

Thank you very much.
I wasn't sure if I should have kept the 2 pullets that came with him, I knew they were siblings.. My sister had some around the same age and sort of looked like him when they were 6 months old. I wasn't sure if they needed to mate, so I traded the pullets..
We love this guy, I think I should try to find some quality hens/pullets for him.
They can breed with siblings, just not as long if breeding to parent, or grandparents.

Hope you enjoy your birds. Wishing you luck.

Back
Top Bottom