IA here

Quote:
Well neither black nor brown hens produce blue
big_smile.png
But if you mean will they look like this, I don't know.
53430_blackpullet.jpg

According to Storey's Illustrated guide the hens are brown, or more specifically "silver grey".
53430_birchen_pullet.jpg

Once I get my Valentines day hatch set I'm going to take out all the "black" hens and see what I get from just the silver grey ones.

Will a brown hen produce a black chick? thats what I meant.

Quote:
Well neither black nor brown hens produce blue
big_smile.png
But if you mean will they look like this, I don't know.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/53430_blackpullet.jpg
According to Storey's Illustrated guide the hens are brown, or more specifically "silver grey".
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/53430_birchen_pullet.jpg
Once I get my Valentines day hatch set I'm going to take out all the "black" hens and see what I get from just the silver grey ones.

If that is what they are supposed to look like, you'll want to save only the brown chicks and the cockerels will be way to light! I really only hatched two brown chicks out of about 50 and the cockerel was almost white (toooooo much lacing;whatever you want to call it) the pullet looks like Kari's second picture. My black chicks run the gamut, all the way from solid black to " birchen and laced" I'm not sure what they were supposed to look like, but in order to get what has been talked about, imho you would have to breed a male line and a female line!
old.gif
Sorry for the ramble, Schroeder called me back , after getting two pullets from me and said that one of mine was a little lighter than his and the other was a little darker than his and mine were a little smaller, but mine were probably at least a month younger than his, but he is really happy with his and thinks that he has real close to what his idea of what they are supposed to look like , so??????????????????????????????????????????????
barnie.gif

Quote:

Last edited:
Schroeder called me back , after getting two pullets from me and said that one of mine was a little lighter than his and the other was a little darker than his and mine were a little smaller, but mine were probably at least a month younger than his, but he is really happy with his and thinks that he has real close to what his idea of what they are supposed to look like , so??????????????????????????????????????????????
barnie.gif

LMAO!
yuckyuck.gif

I think I understand now.
tongue.png
Sorry, Kari, but i did not read or my aged brain failed to recognize the answer in the first post with your response.

Quote:
When will you know??
big_smile.png
"Are we there yet"?
lol.png
I was only 8 votes off! Oh my. it must be the sunny day?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom