IB=Cull?

Allipoe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 7, 2007
Fallston
So. I bought some chicks from a fellow several weeks ago. One sneezed a few times a few days after I got them home, but I didn't think too much about it.

Until the wheezing started and gasping. >.<

You can imagine how ticked off I was, because it spread like wildfire through my birds. Now my poor little banties are gasping and one has died. (I know the wee ones are less able to cope).

The big fellow who started it all (Delawares, btw) is fine now, aside from the occasional sneeze. No one else seems affected in the big guys. The little ones, though, are all gasping.

From the tons and tons of reading/research I have done it is striking me as IB.

My question here is this:

Should I cull them all, start fresh (and irate)? Or should I let it run its course and will they be alright if they make it out the other side?

I am so danged irritated right now. Nothing like trying to start up a rare breed and then getting everyone sick. Grrrr....

Thanks in advance for responses!

-Alli

Don't cull them until you test them. These diseases are just so similar. It's just too reactive to cull them on a diagnosis based on online information.

Instead, find a vet who treats birds. Ask them for a "culture and sensitivity" on one of your birds. They will do a culture of the exudates of the throat etc, they'll grow that bacteria, and they'll identify EXACTLY what the bacteria is. Then they'll grow it again on a growth-plate with antibiotic dots on it. Where the bacteria don't grow, that's the antibiotic to use.

In other words, the vet does a culture and sensitivity, can tell you exactly what the bacteria is, or whether it's a virus, and if it's treatable exactly with what to treat.

In theory you can cull. But you possibly would still have the bug at your place, and you won't know what it is. Why go through all that to possibly have it be the same thing?

I hope you find that its not IB.

But remember from now on to quarantine any new birds for at least 30 days, far away from own flock. That way you won't put your existing birds at risk.

Good luck.

fl.gif
hugs.gif

Once a bird has IB, then it is done. It does not come back unless it is a different strain.

I also suggest testing to make sure it is IB. If it is I think I would let it run it's course.

Back
Top Bottom