Icelandic Chickens

Pics

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
Almost a year ago I became interested in Icelandic chickens. A stray bird flew over our fence and joined our flock. I posted pictures here and was told by a few people that it could be an Icelandic. I did some research and contacted Lyle Behl, the man who imported the first Icelandic chicken hatching eggs into the US in 2003. He verified that it appeared to be an Icelandic to him and told me that he had shipped eggs to California in the past. Well my excitement was dashed a couple of weeks later when she laid a green egg. Icelandic chickens lay white eggs. My Icelandic was crossed with an EE!

By this time I was hooked and I wanted to be part of the effort to save the Icelandic chickens. They were nearly extinct in Iceland since the 1950's when commercial poultry producers imported breeds more conducive to egg production and eating. In the 1970's a veterinarian with the Agricultural School of Iceland singlehandedly saved the Icelandic chicken from extinction. Even now, there are fewer than 3,000 of these birds in Iceland but there is an ongoing effort to save them. I learned everything I could about Icelandic chickens and communicated with Lyle Behl. He put me in contact with people on the West coast to whom he has shipped eggs.

I had the fortune to find Sigrid and Sveinn in southern California. Iceland natives, they are passionate about preserving the chickens of their country. They have imported hatching eggs on three trips to Iceland since Lyle hatched the first 11 chicks in 2003. I told Sigrid about my interest in joining the cause, but she didn't make it easy. I think getting accepted into my registered nursing program was easier than getting my hands on an Icelandic hatching egg. We had many conversations and written exchanges before Sigrid decided I was worthy. All I expected was a few hatching eggs but that wasn't to be. Instead, Sigrid and Sveinn gifted me with two Icelandic hens and two Icelandic roosters! I had not seen pictures of them and kind of assumed that they would be the ugly ducklings of her flock but I was still so excited about getting them. After much ado and worry they arrived last night and I went to the post office hub at 10 p.m. to pick them up.

When I opened the box I literally cried. They were the most gorgeous birds I had ever seen. I knew from my research and conversations with Sigrid that they were colorful and unique, often with crests on their heads. Sigrid says hatching an Icelandic chicken is always like winning a lottery. You never know what you are going to get. They can and do look completely different from the parents. I spoke with Sigrid this morning and she told me that my hens came directly from the veterinarian who saved them from extinction. My roosters came from a remote area off the Northeast corner of Iceland. She brought the eggs back with her this fall and they hatched October 23, 2009. I now have one of the most genetically diverse flocks of Icelandics in the United States, OVERNIGHT!

I did not pay for my birds nor will I pay for hatching eggs from Sigrid. Instead I will donate money to the Protective Society for the Icleandic Chickens in Iceland. Any future profit I make from the sale of hatching eggs and birds will go there as well. I am really excited about my new venture and just had to share it with my BYC friends. Here are pictures of my flock of Icelandic chickens:

Here they are being introduced to Annie:

34566_icelandics.jpg

This is Orri, which is a name for male poultry in Old Icelandic. He is almost four months old.

34566_orri.jpg

34566_orri-2.jpg

This is Isi, (pronounced Icee). He too is almost four months old.

34566_isi.jpg

34566_isi-2.jpg

This is my 11 month old hen, Lukka, meaning lucky in Icelandic.

34566_lukka.jpg

34566_henna-2.jpg

This is Henna, for the hair color! She is 12 months old.

34566_henna.jpg

34566_henna-4.jpg

If you have read this far, THANK YOU! I guess you can tell I am excited.
wee.gif

Edited to add that the importation of the hatching eggs was done legally with the required permits, blood testing, inspections, etc. But after recent changes in airline security it may be more difficult, if not impossible to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like this thread has gone quiet, but in case anyone is still active here, thought I'd share.

I received 30 hatching eggs from Whippoorwill farm this month. Today is day 18 and 21 eggs went into lockdown. I'm quite nervous now!

I've raised chickens in the past but it's been many years. I'm hoping to start a flock of only Icelandics and contribute to preserving them.

Cheers

You hit the lottery of beauty and excitement girl! They are just gorgeous! I am so happy for you, and thank you for sharing them with us! I look forward to watching your flock grow. Please do keep updating.

I love your story, and knowing the history. WOW, just amazing!

BTW .... please put me down on your list for eggs! I Would love to join in your venture!

Those really are beautiful roosters. :)

Temperament brings up another thing I'm not real sure of. As in, I don't know what the appropriate temperament should be. Because they do free range and because I have so many (23 total) going in all different directions - it's been hard to really watch their behavior. Mine are young (May 23) and I'm only just now seeing the rooster dance from 2 of them. Of course they could all be doing it where and when I can't see them, so, yeah, just not sure how I'm going to choose other than trying to pick the prettiest one, lol.

Another question-- I had been planning on keeping 2 rooster, but that was when I thought I had 16 hens. Since these comb-less ones are boys, that drops me to 13 hens. If the recommended rooster-to-hen ratio is 1-10, I wonder if 2 roos would be too much for the hens, and yet, I like the idea of having a back-up rooster just in case. I am free ranging them, after all, and that does come with risk. Any thoughts on the ratio of rooster to hens?

Sorry for the newb question, but.. well, I'm a new egg. :)
Keeping two with that many hens should be okay since you free-range. Two with that many in confinement might work but you could have hens with barebacks. I kept 15 hens with two last winter and they were fine. Spring is different since that is the time when hormones are raging and having more space is better. Raising them together and keeping them together, they will figure out who is flock master and who must be happy with the "second" role. I have found that putting two cocks/cockerels together that have been flock masters will be a battle. Usually a bloody one that I have a problem with. The reason Falki is separated is that I had him in a breeding pen and when I tried to put him back into the main flock, he would not accept Audun as his leader and would constantly fight him for that position. I would find both of them bloody so my solution was to keep Falki separate and let a new "second" be raised within the flock and never separate him and give him the idea that he could hold the top spot.
I find that my hens "choose" a cock and will stay around him. Audun has his group and Eldur (now my "second") has his group. Eldur can not breed any hen in Audun's presence or Audun will knock him off the hen, even if it is one of Eldurs. If Eldur takes his hens away from the area where Audun and his hens are, Eldur is in charge and "anything goes". Both cocks are spending a lot of time "protecting" their hens from the young cockerels that are starting to take an interest in the hens. I separated my pullets from the main flock so that they aren't subjected to "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" antics of the teenagers but the cocks and hens are "teaching some lessons" to rowdy youngsters.
I don't know if any of this makes sense or is of any help but it is how my Icelandic flock dynamics work.

Thanks one and all, I'll be reading and looking etc for a while. Nice to see you guys are still interested in the breed. Oh, bytheway… that Icelandic link is not working.

RJ
RJ, I am glad to see you. I hope you will read the thread and see how passionate we BYC Icelandic keepers are. I still have two of the four original Icelandic chickens I received almost six years ago. My rooster, Audun, came from the originator of this thread. He was a first generation cockerel from Sigrid T's flock that
came from Iceland. My hen, Anna, is from a flock that came from Lyle Behl's flock. I have loved my Icelandics from the beginning and continue to love them. I can't say enough good things about them. I am not on the "official breeders list of Icelandic chickens". I don't do Facebook. I don't only post on this thread when people interested in Icelandics post and try to get to go elsewhere. I just love my Icelandics and hope that others who are as passionate about preserving them as I am will come here and talk about them. I don't try to get them to go elsewhere, not because I am trying to keep them from "accurate knowledge", but because BYC is where I found out about them, about how much I loved them and how I wanted to tell everyone I could about them. Maybe my almost six years of experience with my flock has no standing with some people because I didn't get them from a particular person, but that will not diminish my passion for them. I hope you will stay here on BYC and share the story of your flock so that others will be inspired to make the commitment, and it is a commitment, to keep them pure....remembering always that an Icelandic is only an Icelandic if their genetics are kept pure. To be entrusted with an Icelandic flock is an honor and I hope to hear of your adventure.

Last edited:
Hello keepers of Viking Hens,

I am back and wondering what or where to learn everything I can about these wonderful birds. Should I try to read the old posts, is there a web place that one can go to? I have twenty five chicks coming to me the 18th of April, to add to my three hens and Loki, our rooster. I've been advised to only mate Loki with one hen, and perhaps the wild one, should we ever catch her again. The older hen of the bunch is Loki's mother.

I am interested in a breeding plan, how to make and keep the birds viable and of use to the breed, even if it is a landrace. I am getting my chicks from David Grote. The other birds appear to have lines that lead back to folks here on BYC.

The wife and I are very excited with the birds we have, and the ones we will get in just over three weeks.

Best to all of you and your birds,

RJ

My Icelandic rooster, Loki, comes to me by way of an egg, from coldupnorth. I was most pleased to be able to acquire the birds that RedIII had. And I mean we are 'over the moon' happy. With the few birds we have, and those we expect to have set today, we hope to contribute to the cause. We wish to expand the numbers, and try to ensure they stay pure, to their landrace. Perhaps some of you know and or remember the gracious and talented RedIII. The wife and I are most fond of her and her endeavors. It is and was an honor to receive our start in Icelandic's from her.

We are looking for advice and input. Are there other places one can join in to learn and share these most wonderful birds? Information seems to be hard to find, other than here. I hope to be able to spend time here and to make aquaintce with the active members. We look forward with eager anticipation, the joys of this wondrous chicken.

Best to all and your flock,

RJ
RJ,
I'm glad to hear you got @RedIII s flock of Icelandics. I know she felt terrible about having to give them up and wanted badly to find someone who would preserve them. I'm happy you got them!

Reading this thread will provide entertainment and some anecdotal information. If what you are seeking is scientific studies, you won't find that here. There are few English translations available of any. Perhaps David Grote would be able to tell you if any are available. A few pages ago, I quoted a post from way back in this thread from Sigrid T. David has her stock and mentions her on his website. I wish she was still active on BYC.

As for a breeding plan, breeding Icelandics is not so different than breeding any other breed of chicken. Which birds you decide to keep may be based on different criteria but the method is the same. I think I've posted this link before but I will again in case it was elsewhere.
http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id65.html
Bob Blosl was a premier poultry man and left a wonderful site with information for anyone wanting it. His breed plans can be used for any breed.

I have a small set-up and can't keep a large amount of roosters because of the crowing. I have good neighbors and I want to keep them. Also, my dear hubby is not as enthusiastic about my chickens as I am and I want to keep him also. My numbers have to stay small. But as Edward Everett Hale said, "I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." I will continue to try and preserve my Icelandic flock by carefully keeping a little of everything and bringing in a new pullet every year or two for new blood. Some of you may be able to do more and I hope you will.

NAF ~ love the pictures of hens with chicks. I want some as well. Nine days or so until I have my chicks… and we are on needles and pins. I sat and watched Loki, our Icelandic rooster this afternoon. He is hands down, the best rooster we have ever had. And man is he busy, checking here, looking there, settling disputes and watching the sky. I have not had a Icee rooster prior, but find him to be excellent. The two tame hens are doing well and we have found where 'Hippy Chick' is roosting at night. She is the wildest hen we have ever seen, or been around. It is like she was abused as a chick. Or something.

Been working this week on the Longhouse, our older twelve by twenty feet coop. Got it clean and fixed up nice for the birds. We painted the inside walls Iceland White, so as the girls will feel at home. I feel like I have found my life's calling, to keep and raise these wonderful birds. We could not be happier than to take up this breed and just enjoy them and their chicks. The love of birds, chickens, is such a simple pleasure, yet it is one that is highly valued around our place.

I have a photograph of the coop from last evening. Glad it was Sunday today, as I get older, I seem to get tired more. We still have some finish work to do and the usual maintenance issues, but the hard work is finished, at least for now. Need to figure out a ceiling covering and a few things that can wait until I am not so sore. This is the third spring I have spent working on this coop that grandfather built in the 1920's. I think he would like that it is still standing and in good repair. In some ways, better than new. There is a nice cement floor in there as well and it is dry as a bone, for the most part.

I appreciate this thread and the posters here. I hope to be able to do more here as the 'needed' chicken chores slow down, at least some.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

Ok, I'm going to try to attach a couple of pictures. I'm not the most computer literate geezer around so bear with me please!!

The top bird is Bandit, the more aggressive one. The bottom one is as yet unnamed. If male, possibly Thor or if female, Frigga.

My chicks think highly of themselves....

First of all I want to thank everyone for their support. This has almost become a therapy of sorts. I don't think anyone understands me or wants to hear about my chicken perils. You may not completely understand me either :) but at least you understand my chicken perils. lol
Secondly, I want to say he is back!!!
I can't freaking believe it. 48+ hours later. I am so happy and so thankful. I want to give him a lecture about making me loose sleep and worry but Ill save that for another day :)

Good night all. And thank you again!

@NotAFarm

I will definitely start doing some more research and reading.
Do you know if there are any "beginners" books on Icelandics available?

Here are a few more photos of my four. Boy was it a pain to get side views of them. I did my best and some aren't side view, but will share them anyway. (I threw in the names of them just for fun.. names are still subject to change except for Rey since we all kind of agreed so far that it's a pullet)

Mörgæs:

Your question about a "beginner's book" is a tough one. I wish such a book existed. Since your husband is an Icelander (you don't mention whether you are or not), you may be able to get some information directly from here:
http://www.hlesey.is/page2/page2.html
There is a contact me at the bottom of the page.

@NotAFarm
You were right with my grey chick!! It started making this rather crazy sound two days ago, and this morning I caught him in the act and managed to film it! I am assuming "he" is now practicing to crow. Is that about normal age for a possible crowing sound?
My youngest out of the bunch, turned 6 weeks old yesterday and the other three were 6 weeks on Monday.

Here's the one making all the sound (are feathers on their feet a common trait? it's the only one with them) what type of comb is this?:

The pullet. Any idea what type of comb this is?

Feathered Legs:
If you are sure that you got pure Icelandics, from a breeder there that confirms they have never had other breeds that could have resulted in crossbreeding, then you may have gotten an Icelandic with feathers his legs. I am not part of the group here in the U.S. that states that feathers on legs disqualifies a bird as a pure Icelandic. If there has been no crossbreeding and no genes have been "eliminated" by culling, the possibility exists that some Icelandics could have genes present for feathers on their legs (assuming that Vikings brought feathered legged birds back to Iceland from their travels and I believe that possibility exists). I have never had a feathered legged bird. I had one that had a couple of "stubs" (meaning the start/shaft of a feather) but I did not keep him.

Combs:
Because Icelandics have not been bred to any standard, the combs can be very different and may not be a "recognizable standard comb". A breed that has been bred toward a small, tight rose comb will have a very different look than the one that an Icelandic may have. The fact that the diverse genes have been "allowed to remain" means that our birds will carry multiple comb types within their genes. The presence of many different genes will give the combs a "messy" look to those accustomed to seeing birds with diverse genes removed by years of culling those that don't meet the desirable look. In general, a rose comb is dominant to a single comb. Here a couple of charts (drawing page from tbnranch.com) showing some of the different comb types that a breeder of birds that was trying to meet the Standard of Perfection (the American Poultry Association's book describing how approved breeds should look) would be breeding toward and some drawings of the many different types of combs you may be seeing.

3b8f8e41339b11ef43d3b49ee4ea2c8b.jpg
chickencombsrosssimpson.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom