Icky crusty spot under both wings

revampedfashion

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 31, 2013
My chicken hazel has a bad icky crusty brown spot under both of her wings...it is where the wing joint in connected to her body. What do you suppose this could be? She has been acting really mopey/droopy tail. We are giving her tylan 50 injectable.

No I do not have a rooster, he died of mareks a month ago, then one of my hens died from it as well. We thought hazel was coming down with it as well because she was acting sickly and holding her feet up alternating between the two. But it never progressed any further. It now seems as though she has bumblefoot. So we are treating her for that now. She just isn't her normal self at all though.

Here are pics of mite infestations: I suspect a rooster dug his toenails into her while treading. The wound is healing because of the scabs.

Last edited:
No I do not have a rooster, he died of mareks a month ago, then one of my hens died from it as well. We thought hazel was coming down with it as well because she was acting sickly and holding her feet up alternating between the two. But it never progressed any further. It now seems as though she has bumblefoot. So we are treating her for that now. She just isn't her normal self at all though.
Did you ever notice your rooster mating (alot) with the hen in question? If not, mareks can cause skin lesions or tumors. I've never dealt with marek's. Seminolewind and Haunted55 might help you regarding mareks disease.

I just got back from looking in the coop with a flashlight and I did not see any red mites anywhere. Is it possible for different types of mareks to happen in one flock?! My 2 that died exhibited the parlyzed legs symptoms. I only had 6 chickens to begin with, now down to just the 4 girls.

And, no, I am 99% positive that George only had eyes for his silky hen. He never mated with hazel.

Back
Top Bottom