Ideal Hatchery Black Broiler: honest review

Have you tried the Ideal Black Broiler?

• Yes, it was as you describe.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Yes, but my experience was different (in comments).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but thanks for sharing.

Votes: 20 95.2%

• Total voters

ScarletinaVixen

Songster
Mar 3, 2019
I would like to contribute my experience with Ideal Poultry's Black Broilers.

First, these birds are hardy and gentle. I butchered several (I do it by hand- cervical dislocation- minimal flapping) and they were calm during the entire process.

They matured slower than I would have liked on 24% feed. It took about 20-25 weeks. They are about 12lbs before butchering. I didnt weigh after.

The meat was tender, mild, moist, perfect. I could not ask for better flavor. I am sure part of it was the breed and the rest was the insane quantity of crickets that no longer roam my property (thanks, ladies).

These birds are beautiful. Everyone asks me what they are. I tell them they are black broilers and I get some protests. These birds are gorgeous.

The website for Ideal says they are not a reliable source of eggs. Well. Let's talk about that. They started laying around 15 weeks and I get 1 a day from the hens I decided to not butcher, based solely on egg production. They are out-laying my Ideal236 hens and my welsummer.

I recomend these hens, but be aware that the weight wont come on until later than you think, at least in my case. These are a slow-grow.

Thats for the information. Are you going to try and breed them? Do you know if they breed true? I wonder if they would work for a self sustaining meat flock?
I do not know if they will breed true, but I am trying now. They are eager to mate. They back up into unsuspecting roosters and wait for him to mount. I need to separate (with a black broiler rooster) and find out.

I do not know if they will breed true, but I am trying now. They are eager to mate. They back up into unsuspecting roosters and wait for him to mount. I need to separate (with a black broiler rooster) and find out.

That made me laugh. I'm now picturing those pushy hens playing bumper cars backwards with surprised roosters. :wee

I'm very interested in these birds. Can you post pictures?
20190302_134715.jpg
20190302_134715.jpg
20190302_134720.jpg

Attachments

• 20190302_134719.jpg
    20190302_134719.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom