Ideal Hatchery Question??

I ordered from them in April, and just put in another order that should arrive in mid-September. In April I ordered a trio of Silver Laced Cochins, 4 St Run Porcelain D'Uccles, and a Buff Orpington rooster. They sent me 10 extras - RIR roosters. I lost one of the RIRs that day, but the rest are still very much alive (except for the ones we cooked!). They did take 3 days to arrive though. I was particularly pleased with the Cochins. The RIRs were a pain, but I guess we did get a lot of free chicken, even if they are mean and we had to pen them all separately from the others. They took around a month to ship but it was Easter.

This time I ordered 2 more SL Cochin pullets, 2 Blue Cochin pullets, 4 Blue Silkies, a trio of Pekin ducks and some Cornish Rocks. I'm thinking about adding some Cuckoo Marans too, or I might hatch some. I'd rather pay the extra so I know what i'm getting, rather than have them add extras.

We live 25 miles away from Ideal Hatchery, so I just drove down and got my chicks. The office was clean, the staff was very friendly and I have nothing but good things to say about the hatchery and the chickens, which are now laying machines. Our neighbors are tickled pink to see us coming with fresh brown eggs in hand.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Ideal has been good to me as well. They fixed a mix up with the order we had way back in May. I filled out a survey that they sent in my email. They responded within the hour with an email first and then a phone call. I am expecting my 12 chicks to come in this Friday the 7th. Ideal paid for the chicks, shipping and some Grogel. Babies are always adorable and sweet....just trying to decide right now if we're going to have to build a third coop since I already have 39 chickens...
barnie.gif

Quote:
I have Standard Americauna's, they are flighty.

Two young ones around 10 weeks we figured. So hard to catch when they get loose!

IMG_2621.jpg

My toddler one got her at 1 week is flighty as well. Maybe the breed?
She is the second one in from the left.
IMG_2573.jpg

I have two and they looked like yours when they were little LOL. I'll see if
I can get a photo. One has a gold head and darker body, and the other is gold with black all over. One of them is flighty-ish! They both were when they were chicks, but one got sick and has now bonded very well with me. They are nothing like Bantam Sultans though. Those are like wild cats. They'll do anything to get away from me.

I've ordered from Ideal, didn't lose any and didn't get any packing peanuts either. If you're just looking for layers, Ideal's birds are healthy, from my experience, but I'm not convinced they're pure bred. And if they are, their breeders are horrible examples of the breeds. One of my white leghorns has green tinted legs... grrrrrr. But she's a great layer. My silver laced W is so far from the standard of perfection, that it's hard to tell she's a slw.

I take back the good things I had to say about Ideal. I asked them to cancel an item on my order (4 Silkies), and now they have charged my account twice for the order with them, and the order without them. I have more than twice as many chicks as I wanted on their way to me now. Aghhhhh!

Back
Top Bottom