Ideal order arrived!

Dace

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
I got the call early this morning...4:30.

I will post pics later but I have a couple questions. One of my packing peanuts had his leg stuck straight out behind him and could not stand. He was alive but died shortly after I got them all home. What could have been wrong with his leg? It seemed stiff. Should I be concerned about a disease spreading to the others or was it more likely the way he hatched?

I also had two of the little peanut roos who would take a drink and then their heads would lay flat back on their backs and seem to be stuck. Fast forward several hours and I am not seeing them do that anymore but I am curious what that was about!

Also one of my Australorps has what looks like a thin little black sting coming out of her rear end. I tried to pull on it and it seems stuck so I left it alone. I am thinking she either ate a piece of the packing material or something is wrong. Any ideas?

So I got 4 khaki campbells
3 EEs
3 australorps
and they are all happy, eating and drinking like crazy.

Sounds like spraddle leg. It can be genetic or an injury. I think it happens a lot in shipping. We tried to treat one with home made braces but it didn't help. Some swear by the braces but i think maybe ours was to bad to help. Make sure they aren't on a slick surface like newspaper because this can cause spraddle leg also. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

Dace-Will you include pictures of your khaki campbells as well. I ordered some from Ideal as well to be delivered end of March and am anxious to see how cute they are!!!
pop.gif

All of my chicks have come from Ideal. I have only lost one chick so far. I have been very happy with them.

4:30......
ep.gif
My mother in law will kill me if she gets the call that early. I told hubby he should have given them our number.....
he.gif

Anyway - congrats! pics!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom