Ideas For A Chicken Library Program

Turkey Girl

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
I am leading a chicken program at the Hubbard Public Library and I need ideas. All I have is chickens cookies. :) if you have any ideas please let me know. It is a family program.

Thanks for your help

What is chickens cookies and what kinds of things are you looking for topic and activity wise? Can have a day where you bring in a couple chickens in cages to learn about caring for chickens and why would want to do this? What food they provide.

Can also have 4H come out to do a learn about 4H and see what it can offer youth. It’s a great youth program. It teaches animal husbandry well to kids. Can send home 4 H flyers info for sign up to parents.

Can do chicken nutritional lectures reviewing different feeds organic versus non organic options.

Can offer lecture on fermented feed. Can have samples available what that looks like. Etc.

Can provide ideas about busting up coop boredom. Like different styled roosts, platforms to hop on, tree trunks in run, peck n play balls, swings, cabbage balls etc.

Can have a create your own chick swing workshop. See my article under my avatar for how to.

Can do workshop on setting up brooder with examples. Review heat sources and care including fire safety, feeding practices, etc. :)

Can do a workshop on predator proofing coop/run.

Can have local university agricultural students do a lecture or workshop related to chickens.

Just some ideas without knowing what you are looking for.

Other thoughts and topics can look at my articles under my avatar and others such as

Choosing the right breed for you including breed chart
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/choosing-the-right-breed-for-you.74446/

Ammonia Toxicity in Chickens Etc.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ammonia-toxicity-in-chickens.74475/

Gardening for chickens

Chicken safe plants

Decorate your nest boxes

Different Chicken Diseases

Homemade chicken treat blocks

Learning about different breeds of chickens for egg laying or meat production

Possibilities are endless. Just Check out topics in Learning Center for ideas.

Last edited:
I was thinking about maybe a stuffed chicken contest. Or maybe for the younger kids to play with stuffed chickens and learn about chickens and eggs. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom