Ideas for getting flock from run to garden

You just need to teach them to come when called. Chickens are very quick learners and are very food motivated. Mine free range on an acre for most of the day, but a simple, "Here, chick, chick!" and they all come running. They will follow me all the way back to their run to get their goodies.

+1 on this idea

I can get my chickens to go anywhere in the yard I want simply by carrying the scratch container, shaking it and calling out "SCRATCH!" as I walk. They follow me like a pied piper. It's funny to see them come running from all corners of the yard when I yell and shake the container.

If you want them to be able to come and go without you being around then sounds like some kind of temp fencing is in your future

Maybe I will set up a temporary fence line to help keep them totally scattering while I train them to follow me. They come when I call them in the yard but I've never led them out of the gate before

This is the first year for the my garden at my new property and it turns out that the soil is very poor. Most of my plants have died off and the weeds are moving in. I have blocked off the area that has my tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes so they won't be bothered. I want the chickens to range the rest to eat the weeds, seeds, bugs, and to fertilize the soil.

This fall I plan to amend the soil with manure before i plow

Get a 50' roll of 2x4x48" welded wire fencing and prop it up between the 2 doors...attach to run and garden fence, might need a couple posts in between.
A photo of the area night help.

I need some inspiration. This year is my first year on my new acreage and my first year garden is mostly a flop. I have decided that I want to let my flock graze what's left and pull double duty working the soil and fertilizing for next year. This is where you come in! I need to connect my chook yard to the garden. See the photo below for how it is laid out. I don't want just two runs of a fence to make a hallway or something because i don't want to block off the passage between yard and garden completely The gap between the two is about 20 feet

Fire away!

50' of fence wouldn't even finish one run between the gates. It's over 100 feet between them.
Your first post said 20 feet.

Might want to search for 'chunnel'...sections of mesh tunnels...would still need a bunch of them.

Your first post said 20 feet.

Might want to search for 'chunnel'...sections of mesh tunnels...would still need a bunch of them.

20 feet between the corners of the two fences. sorry for the confusion!
I may end up making a new door near that corner of the garden. It would make this whole ordeal easier

I "herd" mine from one place to another with a broom and treats. If they see me or hear me rattle a plastic raisin bag they freak out and run where ever I am . they are getting to to know the red bag indicates treats...the dalliers i move with a broom.

Back
Top Bottom