Ideas for keeping duck eggs clean? Or duck nesting boxes?

PrairieFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Hi! I seem to have a problem keeping my duck eggs clean and it drives me crazy! My ducks seem to have such messy dirty feet!
Anyways, I lock my ducks, chickens and geese all up at night together in a quite large predator protected cage. (They all free range during the day). It has two sections that are totally covered from rain and lots of straw. Then an outer section that is shaded/covered by a tree but does get rain. We put straw in there frequently but it gets muddy of course. The birds can go between all three as they choose.
Sometimes the ducks seem to just randomly leave an egg out in the outer pen, but mostly they've been making nests in the covered area. Yet even though there is plenty of straw in there they still seem to get the eggs pretty dirty I guess just from coming in from the other pen. Even seems like when I have totally fresh straw everywhere the eggs still get dirty. Does anybody have any ideas of how to get their darn little feet clean so I can get cleaner eggs? Any sort of "duck rug mat" idea??? LOL.

Back
Top Bottom