Ideas for no or low waste chick feeders?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
I've got 3 chicks in one brooder, and now 7 in another. The first is using the typical quart jar with metal base with feeding holes that go around the bottom. The newbies (they just hatched) will be using one of the long slide top chick feeders with holes across the top in two rows. We had figured on a much larger hatch, and got 7 rather than 20.

Anyway, with the older 3, while they are eating like mad, they are also wasting. I was hoping I could get some ideas from you pros on maybe home made, or purchased feeders that promote less to no waste. Pictures would be great!!!

Thanks!

Put a deep pan under the feeder. I lose no feed at all.
102768_run3.jpg

Quote:
That's a good idea for my laying birds, but what I'm seeing waste with is my little birds in the brooder. Though I guess I could adapt something on a small scale for them...

Quote:
That's a good idea for my laying birds, but what I'm seeing waste with is my little birds in the brooder. Though I guess I could adapt something on a small scale for them...

Put it in a casserole Pyrex dish that would work too.

buy the (LITTLE GIANT 11 POUND FEDDER)
IT HAS THE LITTLE FINGERS ALL AROUND IT TO KEEP THEM FROM SCRATCHING FEED OUT
I CUT THE BOTTOM OUT OF PLASTIC COFFEE CAN AND GLUED IT ON TOP SO IT CAN HAVE A LID
YOU WILL HAVE NO WASTE

I used a ceramic dog bowl that had the high sides, and filled 1/2 way. When the chicks scratched, the food mostly just hit the sides inside the bowl.

I got frustrated with the standard chick feeders. I bet more was wasted than what they ate, especially when someone was able to get on top and tip the feeder over

Back
Top Bottom