Ideas for the top of a run?

domikin

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
I inherited a chicken house and run. I had the brilliant idea of securing the top of the run with pvc and deer netting to keep out hawks because it rarely snows heavily here...

Flashforward to the blizzard of December 2018 and no more netting.

The run is about 35x35 with a gabeled coop in the middle.

I don't want to have to work with hardware cloth on a ladder so was thinking of the corrugated polycarbonate panels and/or heavy gauge galvanized wire.

The top of the coop is significantly higher than the fenced in run so I have the option of running it pitched in conjunction with the coop or flat.

Regardless, do I just run a 2x4 joist to support it or would I need to go with a 2x6 ever 2 feet?

Attachments

• 1210181717.jpg
    1210181717.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 33
I have an area 24' x 6' behind my garage that has polycarbonate installed. I used 2 x 4 as joists 24" center. and 2 X 4 cross ties every 2 feet. I ended up with a framework that looked like 2' x 2' squares. Has been up about 20 years. I do need to replace the panels now, but the joists since they were Pressure Treated Studs, are still strong.
Installed on a slant, so water drained off. Snow did stay up there, but when thawed, it did slide off as well. I like the panels because it is light under them. Metal panels create dark ambiance.
I can take a pix tomorrow . It is dark now.
WISHING YOU BEST.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

EA1FB8A2-E682-46D7-BB94-6E82B4CF8851.jpeg

I think 2x4 rafters ( called trusses in this pic) on 2’ center, with 1x4 horizontal purlins, with corrugated roof panels on top would work fine.

Edit to add:
That is what I did for a similar coop/run... see the ‘my coop’ article profile for some pics... and post back if you have further questions

Back
Top Bottom