Identify my chickens!

amandakuehl

Hatching
Jan 24, 2016
Hello BYC community!
I am brand new to the chicken world as my husband and I stumbled upon some chickens someone dumped near our home. We've talked about getting chickens for a while now so we gladly took them in. We've built them a coop and are feeding them some chicken feed a friend gave us and food scraps like greens and cooked lentils and such.

They are very small and we are wondering if they are bantams or just young. We are planning on taking them to the vet to get them sexed and maybe they can tell us?

Also they haven't laid any eggs yet. They did look like they were molting and it is January so maybe it's just not time? We are in California though so the climate is very mild.

Anyway, here are some pictures. What do you think? The black one looks like maybe a Japanese? Again, they are pretty small.. So just wondering if they are young? Do we need to feed them more? Thoughts please! Thank you!!

welcome-byc.gif
glad to have you join us.

Sorry, but I have no idea on the breeds or ages of your new flock, but congratulate you on taking them in and giving them a home.

And a surprise to me that you have a local vet who treats chickens, so many of us don't have that access..

I would suggest you post the pics under "what breed/gender" forum and hopefully someone can help you identify the breeds.

Hoping they bring you joy and an enjoyable new adventure.

Welcome to BYC. I agree with Sunflour, post your photos at "what breed or gender is this." It's very helpful if you say what age they are in the pictures.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's so nice of you to take these abandoned chickens in. I agree on dropping by the what breed gender section ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
I'm sure members there will be able to help you.

Wishing you the very best of luck with them in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello BYC community!
I am brand new to the chicken world as my husband and I stumbled upon some chickens someone dumped near our home. We've talked about getting chickens for a while now so we gladly took them in. We've built them a coop and are feeding them some chicken feed a friend gave us and food scraps like greens and cooked lentils and such.

They are very small and we are wondering if they are bantams or just young. We are planning on taking them to the vet to get them sexed and maybe they can tell us?

Also they haven't laid any eggs yet. They did look like they were molting and it is January so maybe it's just not time? We are in California though so the climate is very mild.

Anyway, here are some pictures. What do you think? The black one looks like maybe a Japanese? Again, they are pretty small.. So just wondering if they are young? Do we need to feed them more? Thoughts please! Thank you!!

The two black and white ones look like young Barred Rock cockerels. They aren't molting, they are still feathering in. The black one could be a Dutch Bantam hen. She probably went broody and her owner gave her some eggs to hatch. Once it was clear that both chicks were male, I guess they decided to dump the whole little family. They aren't biologically hers, but to her they are her babies and she is their momma.

welcome-byc.gif

How kind of you to take in the homeless chickens. I hope you are enjoying them.

Thanks for joining us!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. You have some gorgeous girls. Sorry I'm no help in identifying any. Good luck with your girls.

Back
Top Bottom