Identifying Bugs / Mites on Chicken?

mushytrousers

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2022
Terrible photo I know, but is anyone able to identify these bugs / mites I’ve found on my polish hen? I figure they’re mites but what kind? I see a lot of people have issues with red mites but these look nothing like them to me?

And can mites kill a chicken, or cause neurological issues? This hen has been showing a lot of signs of mareks disease and my assumption is that that’s what it is, but I’m being optimistic there’s another cause for the sake of my other hens.

She started acting depressed / lost a few weeks ago, which turned into isolating herself and squinting / opening only one eye, to now not opening her eyes at all, refusing to stand and rolling her head around in circles.

Any help appreciated, this is the second polish hen I’ve had display similar symptoms and ultimately die and I just don’t know what to do :(

EEDDC12A-B1E4-4E1D-B762-BC3BFB141934.jpeg

Terrible photo I know, but is anyone able to identify these bugs / mites I’ve found on my polish hen? I figure they’re mites but what kind? I see a lot of people have issues with red mites but these look nothing like them to me?

And can mites kill a chicken, or cause neurological issues? This hen has been showing a lot of signs of mareks disease and my assumption is that that’s what it is, but I’m being optimistic there’s another cause for the sake of my other hens.

She started acting depressed / lost a few weeks ago, which turned into isolating herself and squinting / opening only one eye, to now not opening her eyes at all, refusing to stand and rolling her head around in circles.

Any help appreciated, this is the second polish hen I’ve had display similar symptoms and ultimately die and I just don’t know what to do :(

View attachment 3349367
It looks like Lice.

You can find Permethrin based poultry dust or spray at feed stores. To treat the birds themselves, I prefer the dust. Place some of the dust in a sock, then use it like a powder puff to spread the dust on the bird. Be sure to work the dust into the feathers and down to the skin. Dust the birds in 5-7 days intervals.
Clean out bedding from housing and dispose of it. Treat housing with Permethrin (dust or spray I like spray for housing). Repeat treatment in 5-7 day intervals.

I suggest that you treat your whole flock.

For this hen, work on hydrating her. If you have electrolytes that would be good. Once she's drinking then see if she will eat for you. Wet feed may be of interest or a little scrambled egg. I would also get her on vitamins. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Ivermectin is Ivermectin, it's not a Permethrin based product.
You need a permethrin based product Ivermectin.

Lice dont suck blood like mites unless there's an open wound. Otherwise, Ivermectin is useless treating lice, not to mention a long withdrawal period. There is no withdrawal period after using Permethrin dust or liquid.
Geez, I'm an idiot. Just ignore me. I thought that it treated lice, too.
:oops:

Deleting my stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom