Identifying magpie and Ancona ducks

Oct 22, 2021
We are hoping to get some good references and answers to a question that we have been trying to get a clear answer to through research and comparing photos for a while now, how do you clearly know the difference between magpie and Ancona ducks? They look so similar! Send us some identification pictures and even personality characteristics that help you pros identify each. My 11 yr old daughter is raising Anconas and wants to make sure that she is breeding the “best” ones. Thanks! 😊

We are hoping to get some good references and answers to a question that we have been trying to get a clear answer to through research and comparing photos for a while now, how do you clearly know the difference between magpie and Ancona ducks? They look so similar! Send us some identification pictures and even personality characteristics that help you pros identify each. My 11 yr old daughter is raising Anconas and wants to make sure that she is breeding the “best” ones. Thanks! 😊
I have never had a Magpie duck but I breed Anconas and have looked into this a little bit too. I think Magpies have a set pattern and should all look the same. They also have a more slender body type and are smaller. Anconas are stockier, larger, and usually have a wildly marked pattern that is different from duck to duck. They should also have color under the eye while magpies should not. I'll try to dig up some pictures that show the difference!

These are Magpies with the magpie pattern:
GetAttachmentThumbnail
blue-magpie-duck-TLC.jpg
img_0259.jpeg

And these are Anconas:
Ancona-Ducks.jpg
e4da8e38c1364ec1e4e67915a8c7518b.jpg
Ancona-Duck.jpg
ancona4.jpg

There seems to be some variety in Ancona types, but they usually have stockier conformation, thicker necks, rounder heads as opposed to slender heads.

I agree, that's a great site with a lot of information! It's a little confusing though, because since Anconas are heterozygous for extended black, they will have to produce some ducklings with double extended black and also some ducklings with none. Those with 2 black alleles are still Anconas, not Magpies. Maybe they are talking more about a magpie pattern, not the Magpie breed.

Back
Top Bottom