If it's just hens will one take the role of a rooster?

SkyStorm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Okay now I know there's a pecking order. Will one hen take the role of a rooster in protecting the flock and leading them to safty and stuff? Or do they just get the 1st pick of stuff when there top ranked?

Quote:
Some hens have been known to take on the rooster role. I've had that happen a couple of times. It just depends on the hens. I establish myself as head honcho with food and treats as well as walk them around and watch out for them so none of that in awhile
smile.png

Last edited:
Before I had roosters, my flock mistress and her "court" lol seemed to take turns playing the rooster role. However, that same group acknowledged me as the head rooster whenever I was out there. They would squat for me and allow me to break up squabbles, distribute treats etc. The rooster I have now is a very mild mannered Silkie so he could care less who is in charge as long as he gets to eat
lol.png

I had one RIR hen that was the alpha she took on the rooster role and they also get the first pick with food or treats. When I started my first flock they were free ranged and she was the very first one I lost I found her mashed and I am assuming she was defending the flock.

Back
Top Bottom