If its not a bobcat trying to eat my chickens, something else is

Fairview01

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
There's always something wanting a free chicken dinner. I wonder how many more there are in the herd.
IMAG0452.jpg

Yuck!! I had possums down in Southern California. Nasty creatures to me. I do know some folks like them. I put out traps and caught 5 of them in 6 days. Various sizes and ages and some were just scared and some would hiss and go at the cage. I ended up taking them each day as we caught them about 20 miles away into the hills by oaks and a stream and let them go. As bad as they were, I just couldn’t kill them. Lost multiple chickens and eggs to them before I caught the whole family and relocated them. I’m dealing with a wily bobcat now. Have a large trap set last two nights. First night, it got the bait and did not trigger the trap, last night it did not get the bait. Maybe need a game camera.

Yuck!! I had possums down in Southern California. Nasty creatures to me. I do know some folks like them. I put out traps and caught 5 of them in 6 days. Various sizes and ages and some were just scared and some would hiss and go at the cage. I ended up taking them each day as we caught them about 20 miles away into the hills by oaks and a stream and let them go. As bad as they were, I just couldn’t kill them. Lost multiple chickens and eggs to them before I caught the whole family and relocated them. I’m dealing with a wily bobcat now. Have a large trap set last two nights. First night, it got the bait and did not trigger the trap, last night it did not get the bait. Maybe need a game camera.

I also had a bobcat problem. Think of them as a cat with ADD. To be successful trapping them it is best to appeal to more than one sense. A CD hung with fishing line will bring them in close to the bait. A few feathers or the wing tip will also work.
IMAG0400.jpg
Catnip near the set will keep their interest and lead them to the bait. That's how I caught this one.

Great ideas thanks! The first night I used part of a feathered Chicken and raw chicken. Last night just raw chicken. I will add some feathered bits and love the catnip idea. It is coming at night. Not sure if cd will help at night?

I will keep in mind multiple senses.

Great ideas thanks! The first night I used part of a feathered Chicken and raw chicken. Last night just raw chicken. I will add some feathered bits and love the catnip idea. It is coming at night. Not sure if cd will help at night?

I will keep in mind multiple senses.

Their vision is much more acute than ours. Check out the size of the eye sockets on this skull. They are vision/movement oriented. Movement is the key. As the feathers or CD disk rotates it reflects night light that they can see that we may not.

Also if you have a game can you will be able to see how they approach and the times. The one I trapped came at dawn just before sunrise. Dependablly. They have a route of sorts and usually follow the same path unless disturbed or interrupted by something.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323833028.132321.jpg

Coyotes are pack animals. Coyotes howl and chottle so that they can keep up with the other members of the family or pack. Therefor, when you see one coyote there is a good chance that there is a whole pack just over the horizon.

PS: The same is true for raccoons, and coons like coyotes also seem to respond to strange coon sounds.

Back
Top Bottom