If no one knows about jungle fowl what to do about a chick?

philter4

Songster
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Placerville CA
I have both green and grey jungle fowl and today it snowed. I normally keep them inside when the weather is cool but yesterday and this morning it was in the 60- 70's but in the early afternoon today it started hailing and then snowing. I put them in but the temps went from the 60's to the 30's in less then an hour. What should I look for as far as respiratory stress or an infection do to the temperature stress? If they begin to show signs of disease what should I do for a treatment, these are not tame birds and I don't handle them at all unless I have to. I have very little experience with birds, I have only been keeping them again for 2 years after a 30+ year absence from the hobby so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If no one knows about jungle fowl, what would you look for in a chick whose heat lamp went out at night? I am assuming that the symptoms and treatment of cold stress would be the same for a chicken as a jungle fowl. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated so I can avoid an emergency situation but start treating or get them to the vet early if they need to go.

When my heat lamp went out, my chicks would cuddle together tightly and shiver. I had to quickly find a replacement bulb. Good luck with your birds. You are lucky to have such unique fowl.

Quote:
Thank you for your answer, what should I be looking for as far as symptoms of stress or illness? Is there a preventative I should do just in case? How long will it take to show the signs of a problem?

All birds are eating and acting normal, but they are fluffed up and obviously cold and neither rooster has crowed since the snow. I do not want to just add antibiotics as a preventative but they are getting vitamins and a caloric paste on the mealworms. I have also added another inch of hay in their roost boxes, for some reason they don't sleep on the perches that are inside their roost box (which are raised 5 feet off the ground) but on the wire bottom under the perches. At night on cold nights I close the doors to the roost boxes to keep the warm air in, each box is inside the barn (which is closed every night) so it stays much warmer then the outside temps, and the birds seem to like the hay that I lay in the box.

Any other ideas I am more then willing to try, next week the temps are back up to normal, 50's at night and 70+ during the days.

Quote:
Thank you for your answer, what should I be looking for as far as symptoms of stress or illness? Is there a preventative I should do just in case? How long will it take to show the signs of a problem?

All birds are eating and acting normal, but they are fluffed up and obviously cold and neither rooster has crowed since the snow. I do not want to just add antibiotics as a preventative but they are getting vitamins and a caloric paste on the mealworms. I have also added another inch of hay in their roost boxes, for some reason they don't sleep on the perches that are inside their roost box (which are raised 5 feet off the ground) but on the wire bottom under the perches. At night on cold nights I close the doors to the roost boxes to keep the warm air in, each box is inside the barn (which is closed every night) so it stays much warmer then the outside temps, and the birds seem to like the hay that I lay in the box.

Any other ideas I am more then willing to try, next week the temps are back up to normal, 50's at night and 70+ during the days.

What you're doing sounds great as far as keeping them warm
wink.png
. Fluffing up is the natural way birds stay warm. The only other thing I can think of that might help is a heat lamp(if you don't already have one). I also feed my chickens more in the winter, but I don't actually know if it helps in keeping them warm.
Most birds that get sick will go off on there own, like in a corner by themselves and away from others. Laying down all day and not wanting to eat is another sign. As long as they are all eating and acting normal, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep doing what you are now
smile.png

I was following this post and sounds like everyone was giving good advice...just wondering how it turned out? I have jungle fowl and I know that they do pretty well with cold temps, it was the swing in temp that was surprising. Are they o.k.?

Back
Top Bottom