If the buffs don't lay the hubby says, "Go"

A2SciTeach

Songster
12 Years
Aug 13, 2008
A2 MI
2 buffs hatched mid April, no eggs. My husband really does not like them and I keep telling him he will love the eggs, but the ducks are not producing. They are living on borrowed time at this point. Can anyone tell me an average age buffs begin to lay eggs? Will they lay throughout the winter?
fl.gif

Thanks for any input
smile.png

droolin.gif
Once you've tasted duck eggs you'll be glad you kept these birds!

Do your ducks have an enclosed place where they spend the night? My ducks all lay in the early morning hours while in their duck houses. When I go out to open their doors I can collect their eggs and let them enjoy recess for the rest of the day.

And they stop laying when they are molting.
My duck house has windows to let lots of light in and the ducks can look through them since they are going down to floor level. You can also trick them with a 25 watt light bulb on a timer, making sure they are getting 14-17 hours of light per day.

Quote:
I thought the egg laying breeds were non-seasonal, and would lay year round? I don't know if buffs are seasonal or not, so that doesn't help. Also, aren't chickens seasonal layers as well? Mine stop laying for a couple months mid-winter.

If the buffs are a seasonal layer, I agree you won't get eggs until next spring. They may or may not start to lay this fall, but will likely not lay well until the spring. At least, that's how my chickens work... this is my first year with an egg laying breed of duck (welsh Harlequins). My muscovies are seasonal so I expect eggs the spring after they hatch.

There is an easier way to look at it. First you find out how many eggs per breed per year. A chart you can look at is here:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm
A duck usually lays one egg per day, but not when molting, and less or none in winter.
Buffs lay 130 - 180 egg per year. That equals 6 month non stop. More realistic would be 5 month daily and another 2 months every other day. That is 7 months total.
A heavy layer, like the golden 300 hybrid will lay 220 - 245 eggs. That is 8 month, or 7 months daily and 2 every other day. Total 9 month.
Now a mallard only lays 60 -120 eggs. This gives you only 4 month of laying. Here you have one that truly stops for the winter.
Now ducks molt in between so you can add another 2 months to each equation. This all is relative and providing light in winter will prolong their laying capacity and season.

Tell him he's lucky you didn't choose Muscovies. My last ones hatched in March -- I am still waiting....

Mommy Snow White had decided to take a break in August and now she is molting, sooooooo. I haven't seen an egg for about 2 months.

Of coarse when she starts back up, the girls will start and I will have an overflow of eggs, eggs everywhere. We'll be rolling in eggs.

But talk about a bunch of free loaders. I have 5 of them plus the Drake. It just occured to me I have not names any of them. Hum....

Oh, my ducks eat snakes, I like the ducks better. And they are my DH's ducks. They share pea soup with him (well, he sneaks it).

Does hubby like pea soup? If so make some up.

edited to add, my Muscovies lay year round but I am in the south. They lay around 30-40 eggs then take a break, usually for 2-3 weeks unlike this year, its been so hot.

Last edited:
I don't like putting a light on them to make them lay but if he really is going to make them go that might be an option. Do you really like them? If he can't enjoy them maybe they should be rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom