If you were moving cross country would you take your flock?

If you were moving across country would you take your flock?

• Yes, what a silly question!

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • I would take a few favorites.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • No way, No how!

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • It would be a hard decision, glad I don't really have to make it.

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

The Howards

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Southern Girl in ND
My Coop
My Coop
Hey folks. Does anyone have experience moving cross country with your flock? Next summer/fall we will be moving to North Dakota from North Carolina. Yes, I am taking my flock, can't leave my babies behind. I know the travel will be stressful for them and any advice to help with the move will be most welcomed. I thought to find a small horse trailer and fix the inside to contain them. Thinking I will need to divide it in half horizontally and to make sure they have enough space. Ducks on bottom, since they poop so much, and chickens on top. Have also thought putting them in travel crates would be wise. Just not sure which....
There us currently 45 in the flock, 20 chickens and 15 ducks. I know stopping often for water and feed breaks will be a must. Boosts of vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics will be required as well as treats to keep them distracted. I don't want to lose any of them but realize there is a possibility that one or 2 may not be able to handle the move.
So, any advice from your experiences or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

If you did it during mild weather you could probably put 5-6 chickens in an XL dog kennel. Food and water dishes attached to the kennel front (use plastic cups 1/2 full). We have traveled pretty darn far with turkeys this way (1-2 per kennel). It will be stressful but I doubt they'll all die. And have you seen how commercial operations ship turkeys? They stuff them into tiny wire crates that they have to lay down in. Then they stack them 4-6 high and 20-30 deep on an open flatbed semi truck. Then they blow down the interstate at 80MPH. I'm thinking if they had high losses they wouldn't do this. I don't think it's the right way to do it but I'm saying that putting them in kennels in a cargo trailer for a couple of days isn't the end of the world. When you let them out at your new home they won't even remember the long ride. They'll scratch around and do chicken things. Just my opinion. If you are dead set on doing it then go for it.

I would move the chickens if you are attached to them. First off I would check with each state you will be traveling through and ask if there are restrictions about transporting livestock through their check points. You may need blood tests and veterinarian certifications about their health.
Next I would buy the horse trailer and put crates/cages in it with the birds in them. I would bed them pretty deeply with shavings and invest in some horizontal nipples and make drinkers that would hang on the outside of each cage. Make some small L shaped pvc feeders for each crate and feed apple slices you have soaked in lightly salted water overnight and go.
For the ducks I would get rabbit cages with wire floors and catch pans so they would not be standing in poop for 3 days.
The alternative would be overnight shipping, but you could probably buy a nice little horse trailer for the cost of overnight shipping for 40 birds.

Hi all, a quick update on moving the flock. We did it. Last week we moved from NC to ND. It took 3 FULL days of driving to get here. We purchased an enclosed trailer and had extra vents installed. The entire flock made it safely. We were very blessed that we didn't lose anyone on the trip.

Hey folks. Does anyone have experience moving cross country with your flock? Next summer/fall we will be moving to North Dakota from North Carolina. Yes, I am taking my flock, can't leave my babies behind. I know the travel will be stressful for them and any advice to help with the move will be most welcomed. I thought to find a small horse trailer and fix the inside to contain them. Thinking I will need to divide it in half horizontally and to make sure they have enough space. Ducks on bottom, since they poop so much, and chickens on top. Have also thought putting them in travel crates would be wise. Just not sure which....
There us currently 45 in the flock, 20 chickens and 15 ducks. I know stopping often for water and feed breaks will be a must. Boosts of vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics will be required as well as treats to keep them distracted. I don't want to lose any of them but realize there is a possibility that one or 2 may not be able to handle the move.
So, any advice from your experiences or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
First and most importantly you have to know how crazy this is...even though I would do exactly the same thing with my 47 birds, 7 dogs, etc. Now, it is going to be a minimum of a 26 hour drive if you were to drive straight through and since I have never heard of a poultry friendly motel you may have to drive straight through. I would not do the rest stop thing specifically for the birds as that may actually add to their stress. Here are a couple of suggestions...

One - Contact a hatchery that actually ships grown birds and see what advice they can give you. They do this all the time and must have some knowledge of how to reduce stress and the best way to "pack" them.

Two - I would not do the trailer thing as they would be more likely to be injured if they have a lot of room to move about and/or be tossed around as you take corners.

Three - Consider the weather. If you do this move in summer you are going to have birds that are stressing the move and stressing the heat. I would try for mid to late fall if at all possible.

Four - You will need to figure some way that they will have water available (with electrolytes) that will not just splash out all over and leave them with nothing...don't know how you are going to do that.

I am sure there are a hundred other things I am not thinking about but hope that a professional can assist you.

If ever I advised someone to get professional help it would be now and you. I am not talking about a shrink but a hatchery that knows the particulars of shipping adult birds.

I didn't move nearly as far as you're going to, but I did move 550 miles and brought my 2 dogs, 2 cats, 6 chickens (I had way more, but sold down to the ones I just couldn't bear to part with) and rabbit along with me. We put them in the back of a horse trailer in a large (and heavy!) double sided hutch. The rabbit was on one side and the chickens on the other. I bought an extra rabbit feeder and water bottle for the chickens so they would have access to feed and water the entire time. We ran into a hitch when the wheel on my DHs truck flew off going down the interstate. I loaded the kids, dogs and cats in my car (it was a very uncomfortable ride, by the way!) and we had to continue on without my hubby, chickens and rabbit. I was SO worried about them, and it took until the end of the next day for him to get back on the road, so they all stayed in that hutch a good 48 hours during the move. When he finally got here, I was seriously expecting the worst. However, when we opened the trailer, the chickens were happily scratching around in their hay and there was even 3 eggs sitting in a tidy little nest in the corner. I was impressed, to say the least. Between my broodies and incubator, my 6 chickens quickly turned into 40 again (and I'm STILL hatching :oops:).
So, it can be done. It just takes some well thought out planning and determination. If you can't part with them, then don't. I couldn't get rid of my Silkies, I'd worked so hard to build up my flock and I put a ton of work into breeding them as close to the standard as I could. And, I'm glad I brought them with me because I've been having a terribly hard time finding good quality birds around here!

Best of luck with your move! Plan for the unexpected, because it will likely happen!

I didn't move nearly as far as you're going to, but I did move 550 miles and brought my 2 dogs, 2 cats, 6 chickens (I had way more, but sold down to the ones I just couldn't bear to part with) and rabbit along with me. We put them in the back of a horse trailer in a large (and heavy!) double sided hutch. The rabbit was on one side and the chickens on the other. I bought an extra rabbit feeder and water bottle for the chickens so they would have access to feed and water the entire time. We ran into a hitch when the wheel on my DHs truck flew off going down the interstate. I loaded the kids, dogs and cats in my car (it was a very uncomfortable ride, by the way!) and we had to continue on without my hubby, chickens and rabbit. I was SO worried about them, and it took until the end of the next day for him to get back on the road, so they all stayed in that hutch a good 48 hours during the move. When he finally got here, I was seriously expecting the worst. However, when we opened the trailer, the chickens were happily scratching around in their hay and there was even 3 eggs sitting in a tidy little nest in the corner. I was impressed, to say the least. Between my broodies and incubator, my 6 chickens quickly turned into 40 again (and I'm STILL hatching
hide.gif
).
So, it can be done. It just takes some well thought out planning and determination. If you can't part with them, then don't. I couldn't get rid of my Silkies, I'd worked so hard to build up my flock and I put a ton of work into breeding them as close to the standard as I could. And, I'm glad I brought them with me because I've been having a terribly hard time finding good quality birds around here!

Best of luck with your move! Plan for the unexpected, because it will likely happen!
Thanks for the info! Glad to know someone else out there has made a long trip with their animals. I am determined to take them so it is good to know it was accomplished by someone, even with the mishaps you ran into. Happy to hear everyone made it in one piece and that you and your family were safe.

If you did it during mild weather you could probably put 5-6 chickens in an XL dog kennel. Food and water dishes attached to the kennel front (use plastic cups 1/2 full). We have traveled pretty darn far with turkeys this way (1-2 per kennel). It will be stressful but I doubt they'll all die. And have you seen how commercial operations ship turkeys? They stuff them into tiny wire crates that they have to lay down in. Then they stack them 4-6 high and 20-30 deep on an open flatbed semi truck. Then they blow down the interstate at 80MPH. I'm thinking if they had high losses they wouldn't do this. I don't think it's the right way to do it but I'm saying that putting them in kennels in a cargo trailer for a couple of days isn't the end of the world. When you let them out at your new home they won't even remember the long ride. They'll scratch around and do chicken things. Just my opinion. If you are dead set on doing it then go for it.
Thanks! That is what I have been thinking too, animals get shipped all the time and I plan on taking good care of them along the way. I plan on finding LOTS of crates and putting a few in each one. That way they are not too confined and crowded. I have pretty much decided to re-home a big ol SL cochin roo. He is a good boy but a bit big for his girls (he currently has his own flock). But everyone else will have to be packed up.

First and most importantly you have to know how crazy this is...even though I would do exactly the same thing with my 47 birds, 7 dogs, etc. Now, it is going to be a minimum of a 26 hour drive if you were to drive straight through and since I have never heard of a poultry friendly motel you may have to drive straight through. I would not do the rest stop thing specifically for the birds as that may actually add to their stress. Here are a couple of suggestions...

One - Contact a hatchery that actually ships grown birds and see what advice they can give you. They do this all the time and must have some knowledge of how to reduce stress and the best way to "pack" them.

Two - I would not do the trailer thing as they would be more likely to be injured if they have a lot of room to move about and/or be tossed around as you take corners.

Three - Consider the weather. If you do this move in summer you are going to have birds that are stressing the move and stressing the heat. I would try for mid to late fall if at all possible.

Four - You will need to figure some way that they will have water available (with electrolytes) that will not just splash out all over and leave them with nothing...don't know how you are going to do that.

I am sure there are a hundred other things I am not thinking about but hope that a professional can assist you.

If ever I advised someone to get professional help it would be now and you. I am not talking about a shrink but a hatchery that knows the particulars of shipping adult birds.
LOL! You may be right, I am a bit crazy. After typing out my post I started thinking crates would be best. Small ones so only 1-3 per crate but they are going to have to be in a enclosed trailer (or something) with ventilation. DH suggested a huge U-Haul our stuff in the front and crates in the back closest to the door. But I worry about ventilation.My hubby is already there and it took him 2.5 days to get there. Trying to figure the water situation out myself. But, he agrees with me, have to take the flock. They are my babies, what can I say?

Back
Top Bottom