ill silkie -- need help with diagnosis/treatment

coreyp87

Hatching
Apr 14, 2022
Hi,

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) -- Silkie, 5yo, has lost much weight (breast bone visible)
2) What is the behavior, exactly. -- Standing and walking but not eating or drinking much. Lying down alot.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 4-5 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. N/A
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Drinking very, very little and eating little as well. Green feces, I assume bile/lack of eating
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Green and normal consistency
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Amprolium
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. N/A
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use -- shaving, we have her currently isolated from the rooster as he was making it worse.

Crop issues can be a common reason for weight loss and lack of appetite. Read through this so you can know enough to rule out this cause. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Other causes can be coccidiosis, a bacterial infection or an avian virus. You may safely treat for infection at the same time you're treating for coccidiosis. I suggest asking at your local feed stores for amoxicillin. It will be labeled for fish, but that doesn't rule out using it successfully to treat chickens.

My wife just mentioned that her stomach feels distended. Her crop doesn't appear or feel abnormal.

Back
Top Bottom