illness or just old?

I would bring her inside and check her over. Check her for mites and lice, check her vent and look at her eyes and ears etc. It’s important to check the crop in the evening and morning to make sure it’s full and empty respectively. Feel her keel bone too to see if she feels underweight.

Maybe offer her some plain water and some scrambled egg. You could also bring her friend in for scrambled eggs to see if that encourages her to eat.

I'm so sorry for your hen. I'm trying to see if there is anything you can do to try to save her.
yeah it’s unfortunate cause she was everyone’s favorite she was the only one from all our chicks that came out that color. she’s probably about 8 years old so if worried there’s not much to do. i wanna at least try to make it peaceful and make sure she’s loved if it’s inevitable and hopefully help the other chickens in there is a sickness present.

I would bring her inside and check her over. Check her for mites and lice, check her vent and look at her eyes and ears etc. It’s important to check the crop in the evening and morning to make sure it’s full and empty respectively. Feel her keel bone too to see if she feels underweight.

Maybe offer her some plain water and some scrambled egg. You could also bring her friend in for scrambled eggs to see if that encourages her to eat.
she’s always been a bigger chicken but she has felt a bit boney lately. i’ll check the other stuff as well. i already checked her eyes as well as the eyes of the other chickens and the bubbles they had before seem to have gone away. i haven’t checked ears or anything else yet so that’s a god idea 😁

I think sometimes with respiratory illnesses they can get over the acute phase but it lingers in their system and from then they are weaker or more prone to other problems. So if you do a thorough check over you might discover the issue.

My understanding of respiratory symptoms are weepy eyes and nose, a puffed up face, lesions/scabs on comb/wattles/face/inside mouth.

her crop eyes ears vent etc all seem fine. i haven’t offered water or egg yet.

I think sometimes with respiratory illnesses they can get over the acute phase but it lingers in their system and from then they are weaker or more prone to other problems. So if you do a thorough check over you might discover the issue.

My understanding of respiratory symptoms are weepy eyes and nose, a puffed up face, lesions/scabs on comb/wattles/face/inside mouth.
only thing i’m noticing is the gurgling and she’s keeping her mouth open as she breathes. and of course unable to move.

My understanding of respiratory symptoms are weepy eyes and nose, a puffed up face, lesions/scabs on comb/wattles/face/inside mouth

What time of day is it where you are? Is her crop full? If so how does it feel?
it’s going on 10 pm. it feels empty. i wouldn’t exactly say squishy but it’s not firm. sorry not sure why this added 3 messages at once in my reply

Back
Top Bottom