I'm adopting a greyhound. (one pict)

thumbsup.gif

Well the animal shelter is closed today but I had the chance to look at the application.

It said if we want to adopt the animal, we have to take the animal "as is".
ep.gif
So there is NO guarantee if the dog will work in our home until we adopt him. What if it does not work out, it would be a very sad fate for the dog to be returned because they simply didn't know the information or didn't do a very through job on him.

Tomorrow we will see him and think some more. Hubby and I have been throwing the fact back and forth thinking about our daughter and our cat.

It really bugs me that people breed these poor dogs just for racing, then they just get dumped at rescues...
Talk about scum bag breeders..
smack.gif

Shes beautiful,.. thanks for giving her a good home for the last years of her life..
hugs.gif

Bless you

I have had GSD;s all my life and was very careful about blood lines. After several years passing since my last one moved on, I found one that needed rescued from a bad situation. All of my dogs over the years have been special, but Harley is just a little extra special. Harley is now 18 months old and may very well be the best I've owned. He inspired us so much that we went on to rescue several others to get them back to health and find them new homes. We ran across Lucy one day and Harley fell in love with her....so she had to stay. I only tell you all this because I wanted to convey how special a rescued animal can indeed be. Pictures of Harley and Lucy are on my BYC page. Good luck and God bless.

I have 2, retired racing greyhounds who are both 11 years old and I've had them for 6 years now. The first one I adopted was from Greyhound Pets of America from Tampa/St.Pete and he was fostered for 4 months before he came to live with me. I knew everything about how he behaved with kids, cats, other small animals, even if he could use stairs (which was good because I have a 2-story house). My other greyhound was given to me by my vet so I was given detailed information about her likes and dislikes.

Now that they're older they are slowing down some, but not much. One of them has to always be walked on a leash because he will take off investigating the countryside, while the other one is a good little girl and won't leave the yard. She's just not into moving around much and takes her retirement very seriously.

I hope you can make a suitable arrangement with the shelter and be able to have him home for a "trial" period before committing and I think 30 days is more than enough time for a greyhound. They are very laid-back animals once they have been removed from the racing environment but be aware that not all greyhounds like cats. Don't forget, they have been trained to chase after something that resembles a cat and depending on the dog's temperment it may be a problem....or not.

Good luck and I hope Cesar will find his forever home with you and you all will have many happy years together!

I agree. I think 30 days is sufficient for most dogs. You say you're worried about if he doesn't work out & you have to return him, but really, if you 'foster' or 'trial' him & he doesn't work out, you'll have to do the same thing.

Our son is 7yo, autistic, exceptionally loud, pretty bouncy & fast, etc. We've learned he generally brings out the opposite in animals (if they generally like kids, they hate him; if they typically don't like kids, they love him) so we'd decided to adopt a puppy for him when he was 3yo. Bo did wonders for him in every way & our son has come so far it's hard to imagine how he used to be just 4yrs ago. But unfortunately he just suddenly ruptured a disk in his lower back- this on top of his congenital shallow hip sockets that were drastically degenerating, & plano. that popped up anytime we took a vacation (with or without the dogs) & his overall huge size. At 4yo, his activity was already pretty restricted to keep him from getting hurt while playing, & from the day he came into our home at 8wks, he was OUR SON'S dog, he could care less if we even existed & it took 2yrs before he sought attention from me himself. All things considered, I made the very hard decision to put him down instead of him living in even more pain (if he could recover) & having an even more restricted life that would basically keep him from his kid. I couldn't do it.

Our remaining dog, 11yo couch potato, hadn't been an only child for the last 10yrs (his "sister" died of bloat shortly after we got Bo) & was slipping back into his CRAZY separation anxiety quickly. We went on the hunt for an older dog that would be happy lounging on the couch & being loved & spoiled.

After looking around, we kept coming back to Odie, a 10yo small hound mix that was picked up as a stray. He'd been at the shelter for 2mo & no one had taken him out for a visit until we did. Well he perfectly clicked with our old guy & we took him home, I still keep an eye on our son (because I always do with kids & dogs- period) but he's adjusting beautifully. We knew all his quirks in the first 30 days. We introduced him to anything he may come into contact with in our family & just observed him in general. We've concluded he was definitely used as a deer-hunting hound, possibly a bird dog too, he's mostly tone deaf, he'll put up with anything you do to him but he isn't very comfortable at all- but let HIM do it at his own pace & he's perfectly happy. Not to mention lots of little details. Only thing we learned after 30 days was it seems he may have been beat with a stick of some sort.

Most shelters & rescues request, or have in their contracts, that if the dog ever has to be given up, that it's returned to the shelter/rescue it was adopted from. I don't see how a 30-60 day trial is any different than a flat-out adoption if it doesn't work out in the end, or if it does. Either he stays or he goes back, yes? All the same considerations are in play- I would keep kids away from the dogs at feeding time- until you're sure how that goes, & strict supervision with them with toys/treats. Outside of that, if the kid & dog get along well at first, general safety & supervision are all you should need to figure out if he'll work or not.

To answer the question Greyhounds are usually 'soft' dogs and a stern command will halt my girl in her tracks... I have Fiesta the 4 year old rooster free ranging due to hormone problems in the pen- he is safe with her SUPERVISED.

I would never leave one of my chickens loose to my dog no matter how good she's been so far.

I've had pen issuers (human idiots) letting my rabbits out in my yard w/o my knowledge - no accidents, shes a great dog.

She's 100% trustworthy around my 2 yr old, now if my son was trustworthy back...

I'd adopt another if I could afford him/her/it in a second

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom