I'm at a loss?

Do you have any Amoxicillin, Tetracycline(s) or Baytril?

Metronidazole would not be my choice to treat infection like this, but do your research and you may find it would work o.k. It's most commonly used to treat Canker (Trichomoniasis) in poultry.
I think I have doxycycline or Amoxicillin. I can check in the morning.

I would recommend against using the Santyl on the vent ulcers due to the proximity to the delicate mucous membranes inside the clocaca. The debridement med is for outer skin only. It could migrate inside the cloaca, and we don't know if it could cause more harm than good if it comes into contact with those inner tissues.

Well, after talking to DH, I think we are just going to put her down. Next week we are heading out of state to bury my parents. I don't think the people staying behind to take care of our animals can handle this particular task... If I wasn't going out of town, I'd do everything to try to save her. 😔😢

Sorry about your hen. You got great advice from others. Sometimes you have to do what is best for the chicken, even if it is euthanizing. I agree that soaking the tissue every day to soften it, and then applying ointment to make sure it doesn’t dry out is the best thing to do. I have treated third degree burns, as has @azygous, and in pediatric hospitals, we always used to soak the burns with warm soap and water twice daily until softened while rubbing the necrotic tissue with a cloth, and then apply Silvadene Cream.

Yeah, it just sucks... I wish I'd seen it sooner before it got this far. Even with 65+ chickens, I still see them all as pets and losing any of them is still hard. I do have Silvadene too...

Well, after talking to DH, I think we are just going to put her down. Next week we are heading out of state to bury my parents. I don't think the people staying behind to take care of our animals can handle this particular task... If I wasn't going out of town, I'd do everything to try to save her. 😔😢
:hugs So sorry, this is a lot to deal with.
You are doing the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom