I'm Feeling So Bad,,I had to put a hen down today,,Help!!

skyfires

Trying to hide
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
The Ozarks of Arkansas
I'll try to make a long story short.
pop.gif
But I feel its all my fault on this one. I was guarding my baby chicks from the larger hens. I was 'shooing' them away with my hand when one flew up in the air and came down on three that was laying on the ground resting, in front of me. She came down right in the middle of the relaxing bunch. I heard one scream. I knew it wasn't good. Two got up, one didn't. My beautiful brown leghorn was hurt. I put the babies away quickly and came to her aide. When I picked her up, her leg was clearly broken just below her knee. I supported it on the way out of the run and walked to the side of the house. I knew there was nothing I could do for her. The break was very clear, and very bad. I took her over to a area far from the run, so the others couldn't see us. Yes, she went very quick and humane. I'm so heart broken. After a short while I went back into the run and sat in my chair to spend time with the flock. They are so quiet. They didn't even pick on the young ones. They milled around and watched me carefully ( maybe I'm thinking they know I killed their flock mate). I know the facts with chickens, I've had them in the past. But this one is very hard on me. Does anyone else have any stories like mine. It might help to hear others on this subject..Thanks Skyfires,,,
hit.gif
hit.gif

Thank you,,,feeling better,,,husbands cuddling me too,,,he was at work and hates I had to deal with this alone,,,Just think,, I eat chicken twice a week, sometimes more!!! Just not "my" babies,,, I'm in love with feathered baby eeppeerrrsss,,,
love.gif

It's perfectly okay to feel like you are and accidents happen.....

I've never had an accident with the hens but I have had to put a sick bird down... it's not a good feeling but something that has to be done...just a part of owning chickens sometimes....

hugs.gif
hit.gif
I am so sorry this happened to your hen, it is always so sad when they have to go over the bridge. It was not your fault. Take care.

You did the best for her, I know you did. Accidents happen and usually it doesn't end that way. Just a tough break, no pun intended. But it's so hard! I'm at the point we need to put down one of my hens. She is almost 3 yrs old and has been the head hen all along. I believe she has salpingitis, is very weak and thin, and isnt long for this world, but my DH can't do it. He loves her so much and is so soft hearted. I told him if he can't, if it would help, just ask one of the local vets who has decent prices if he would do it. Can't cost much. Maybe the guy will take pity on us. We've put down chicks several times, but this is very different. This is our RUBY! Tough, no-nonsense Ruby who wouldnt take guff from anybody, who pecked a broody on the head once as if to say, "What the heck is wrong with you?" and the broody didn't retaliate. She's my feathered pitbull! It's so hard when they are truly pets and not livestock.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom