I'm finally getting chickens!

carp

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
Spokane
Hi everybody! I have loved chickens my whole life and always wanted some. Most of my adult life, I've lived in tiny apartments so I couldn't really have any, but recently I moved to my grandfather's old house in a farm town. He used to raise chickens, and though the giant chicken shed has since been converted to a garage, we still have a large fenced pasture. So I found a small coop on craigslist and will be picking it up today!

I'm living with my mom to help her out with things. Though she does not have fond memories of having to care for the chickens as a kid (she hates bantams because she said they would chase her around), she's excited about my excitement and said she could be OK with four chickens. She really likes Rhode Island Reds, and I really like Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas, so we'll want to get a mix of those. I also really like Jersey Giants, but I can't find any hatcheries around here that has them.

I've read things on BYC for years now, as I dreamed about getting chickens, but I never started an account. Now, of course, I have a lot of reading to do to, so I've spent a lot of time here the past couple of days. I don't only need to make sure I know how to take care of my chickens, but I have to keep reassuring my mom it's going to be fine (she keeps coming up with what-ifs, like, what if the chickens get lice, that kind of thing). Right now, I'm reading up on people's experiences with feeding frozen food, because my grandpa had a tendency to keep a lot of stuff in the freezer, and we need to thin it out a bit.

Grandpa is still around, but has to live in a home for folks with dementia, and has recently started hospice. It's been really hard for my mom-hard for me too, but mom's the one who has been taking care of him for years now as he's been declining. But now I'm here with her and after years of not being able to do the stuff she used to do before grandpa started going downhill, I'm learning how to garden so she can grow the fruits and vegetables loves (I'm sure excited about the prospect of home grown tomatoes among other things). It's been nice visiting grandpa and telling him about what we're planing, and it will be nice to tell him about the chickens too. I'm not sure he remembers who I am, but he remembers his gardens, and the chickens, and other things from when he was a young man, so he smiles and nods in approval to hear about it all now.

Haha, that got more emotional than I meant. Our family here also includes three cats and two chihuahuas. The cats are all indoors only, and the dogs have a yard for themselves, separate from the pasture, but I'll still try to introduce them to the chickens just in case of encounters. My own cat likes to go for walks on a leash, and I figure he wouldn't mind checking out the chickens. I'm also a big fan of bees. I got us a mason bee house some cocoons, and they've been fun to watch. We also have a honey bee hive in our garage (in a part we don't use). I can't access the honey comb, but it makes me happy to have them there. Maybe someday I'll get into beekeeping.

Neither my mom nor I work right now. Besides gardening, we spend a lot of time going through my grandparents' stuff. The past four generations of my family kept everything, and it's all stuffed away into every available space in this (really big) house. There's a lot of junk that just needs to be tossed, but a lot of treasures too. Anything that family members don't want are getting sold on ebay (well, we're trying to do that, at least). Lots of vintage glass. The coolest thing we've found so far are a pair of binoculars from WWI.

I tend to be really wordy, so sorry about that. How about some pictures now?

Pacey starts all his walks by rolling around in dirt. His previous owners let him be an indoor/outdoor cat, but I am not OK with leaving cats outside unattended. I'm glad he took to a harness well so he can still go out every day (though he really wants to try to crawl into grandpa's old cellar and I do not want to go down there).

Pacey used to be an only cat. He's adjusting to the other kitties pretty well. Chloe is just a couple of years old and teaching Pacey how to play. Lucy is an ooold little gray kitty who has some physical issues which prevented her from getting spayed. She has decided Pacey is her boyfriend.

Sweetpea is my mom's chihuahua, and Tempe belongs to my uncle but is staying with us indefinitely. Sweetie loves being held, but poor Tempe was abused before my uncle rescued her, so we have to be pretty gentle with her.

Grandpa and me!

images

Welcome to BYC!

What a nice introduction! You and Grampa look very content there. :)

You might want to do some reading in our learning center for lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You are in Washington?? You might want to chat with your chicken neighbors. Maybe one of them has some Jersey Giants that they would love to give a good home to....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/717207/washingtonians-come-together-washington-peeps

Enjoy this wonderful adventure you are on. Say hello to Grampa. Tell him we will make sure his flock is taken care of well and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Nice intro! Good luck with your projects and the soon to be chickens!

It's great that you can be there for your mom. Tell her if something comes up with the chickens, you will find the answers on BYC and take care of it for her. Hopefully that will reduce some of her stress. My mom used to be a "what IF " person and very anxious. Then she taught it to me and let me take over all the worrying.

I've learned to answer the what if's by finding out what to do if they happened. Knowing in advance what should be done is a great de-stressor and helps people feel in charge.

What a nice picture of you and your grandma. My father had to be in a nursing home too,because he kept falling down a lot, he also had dementia and didn't know us kids or remember being married for 55 years, till my mom died. He made it to 90.

Wish you all the best.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I'm checking on all the links you've suggested. Yesterday, we picked up our coop (it was advertised as 4x4, but it's actually more 5x5x5, and we had a heck of a time getting it into the back pasture). We've also set up the brooder, got food ready to go, and have a place to go pick up some babies today! After seeing some more chickens, my mom has really fallen for banded rocks (how do you pronounce rock, by the way?) and black stars/sexlinks. But I'm still going to get my americaunas (we found some to go look at today).

Mom has really warmed up to the idea of chickens, though she's disappointed we have to wait so long for eggs. Eggs were a secondary consideration for me, though.

Yes, Pacey is the black cat! I'm his fourth owner (at least). I actually was with one of his previous owners when they got him at a shelter, they left him in my best friend's house when they moved suddenly, then my best friend got corgis and a baby and didn't have time for the poor cat. He's got a permanent home with me, though. And he seems to know it. He's more loving and active now than he's ever been in his life, and he's a senior.

Thank you again! Assuming all goes well, I should have pictures of babies later today! If I'm not too busy to get online again (Pacey missed his walk yesterday so I promised him he'd get one today even if I have to give up internet time).

Here are my first two babies!

We totally changed what breeds we wanted to get after I read a bunch more stuff on here. The first two are a banded rook and buff orpington. next week we plan to get a gold and a black sexlink.

These two are doing well so far. The orpington (named Princess Bubblegum) is bossy and outgoing. Whenever she sees my hand she either wants to peck it or get pet. The rook (Lumpy Space Princess) talks and talks constantly. When she's sitting in my hand, she won't let Princess Bubblegum climb into it, even though PB is bigger and usually pushes her around.

I've been spending so much time staring at them.

Back
Top Bottom