I'm glad to be a member. I am trying to hatch Black Copper Marans eggs to go with the two birds that

Ruby, I have another question. On shipped eggs, I see where people are setting the eggs upright in carton with no rotating for the first 4 days in the incubator. I also have seen where they do a hand rotation daily during those 4 days to prevent the embryo from sticking to the wall, but still allowing the air cell to stabilize. I absolutely love incubating eggs so I am going to try it one more time after these come out. Instead of having eggs shipped 1900+ miles, these will only be shipped 630 miles. Much closer, so maybe less damage to the eggs. I would appreciate your input on the first 4 days with the rotator unplugged. Thanks.

For me, I never use an auto turner with shipped eggs (I manually do it) but I'm home so that's feasible for me. I leave the eggs upright in a carton and I do not turn them at all for the first 24 hours. Then I tilt them from one side of the carton to the other (at a 45 degree angle) 5 times a day for the next 15 days. So if it's possible for you then yes, I would hand tilt them for the first few days (or all, if you can). I think the constant turning of the auto-turners is a bit rough on shipped eggs but some people have no other choice. How are they doing by the way?

You have been so helpful. I really appreciate it. Right now the eggs are in lockdown with the saddle up. They are suppose to hatch tomorrow night. I keep checking to see if the "X" has moved at all, but so far no movement. Maybe tonight.
I will follow your lead on the next shipment coming. Hopefully they arrive with intact air cells. What a joy that would be!!!

You have been so helpful. I really appreciate it. Right now the eggs are in lockdown with the saddle up. They are suppose to hatch tomorrow night. I keep checking to see if the "X" has moved at all, but so far no movement. Maybe tonight.
I will follow your lead on the next shipment coming. Hopefully they arrive with intact air cells. What a joy that would be!!!

I've done dozens of batches of shipped eggs and only a couple have had intact air cells. It was so amazingly awesome!! :gig I really hope you get a good batch too! I know what it's like with shipped so if I can help you get a few extra eggs to hatch them I am happy!! Don't ever hesitate to ask anything!! I'm keeping my :fl crossed for those eggs in lockdown! Days 19 & 20 are the longest days ever!! Lol.

I'm back! Last night at 10:00PM started day 21. I had my humidity at 30 in anticipation of increasing it once there was a pip. So far nothing is happening. No noticeable movement of the eggs and no sound. I felt like I needed to do something so I increased the humidity to 35 about 2 hours ago. If I don't have any change by tomorrow midday should I open the shell above the air cell? I don't know if any are alive, but I also hate to think of them dying and doing nothing. What do you think?

Have you tried to candle recently? Before pip you can often see a draw-down on one side of the egg. Try a really bright light and a very dark room, shining into the air cell at the fat end of the egg.

Have you tried to candle recently?  Before pip you can often see a draw-down on one side of the egg.  Try a really bright light and a very dark room, shining into the air cell at the fat end of the egg.

X2! I need to know what's going on during the lost couple days. That's actually when I do most of my candling (I probably candle 3 times a day during the last 3 days and then during hatch whenever I get a break in the hatching action, I will candle all the eggs that don't have external pips to see what's going on). Check for internal pips. I know those eggs are hard to see into, so make sure the room is quiet and tap on the aircell with your finger nail or gently tap with something and listen for peeping or any tapping back. When you candle look for a any shadows moving inside the air cell. Like Friday said, by now any eggs that are alive should have "drawn down". Those air cells grow big and (in light eggs) you can see the chick pushing on the internal membrane. Look for signs of life and let us know what's going on. If you do find internal pips then take note of what time it is (internal pip usually last around 24 hours, once they go over that I can give you direction on making "safety holes" for oxygen if they don't externally pip by themselves).

All of you are wonderful for your help. We had a power outage last evening due to wind so we immediately turned on the generator to care for the eggs and appliances. That is why I didn't immediately respond to your entries. Today, I candled the eggs and although the air cell was adequate, there was no life present. On opening the eggs it was apparent that they died some time ago since the egg was mostly yolk. Now I wonder if having the humidity set at 25% for the first 18 days was too stringent and they just didn't have room to mature. When I did an incubation in the past, I had the humidity set at 35% for the first 18 days and I got a live chick. What are your thoughts? Thanks

I've heard marans can be a hard hatch. Combine that with rough shipping and your altitude and you've got your work cut out for you. I'm really tempted to tell you to try light eggs for 1 round. You would learn so much from getting to see inside those babies for 21 days!! I've even heard of people sanding the dark pigment off of the marans eggs for incubation. Don't give up. You'll get this. I would increase the humidity a little. 35% sounds fair.

Back
Top Bottom