Sponsored Post I'm incubating - what do I do if the power goes out?

So this may be an odd question, but the human body is around 98.6*, so has anyone used their body heat to get eggs thru a power outage? I imagine using a blanket on your belly and laying on the couch you could keep them somewhat warm.
I'm similar~ I've always put chilled orphaned wildlife against my skin to warm them until I can get them home. Now that I'm older, and saggier, I can just about wrap them under the breast...Hahahahaha--gotta find the "joys" of aging where you can!

Remember--if you find somebody with hypothermia, the best thing you can do to save their life in a wilderness situation is to get both of you jay-bird naked, skin-to-skin, wrapped in whatever you can find, or naked skin-to-skin inside an emergency shelter you can make quickly with branches and leaves. Modesty is one thing, saving a life is another!

Last edited:
I laid out the eggs in front of the fire place on a fluffy blanket. I kept a thermometer in the middle and on the outside. every hour I rolled them around.putting the outside ones on the inside next to fireplace.
In Summer I Laid them out on the fluffy blanket(dark Navy Blue) in the sun and turned them every 30 minutes. I Kept a thermometer on them to keep as close as possible to correct temp. Sometimes pulling out of sun so not too Hot.

I just happened across this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents.
Quote:
ETA: I had the eggs in my cabinet but transferred them to a styrofoam incubator as I just had a few eggs left in it. I usually do staggered hatches.

My eggs are due to hatch on the 10th of this month I woke this morning to find that my incubator had somehow became unplugged but I think it was off all night the temp was 77 when I got it back on would they be okay only a week away from hatching

Last year we lost two incubators full of eggs due to power outages in our area. All together we lost almost 100 eggs. Thankfully not all in one shot as it happened on 2 different days and more than a month apart. This year I have a pair small generators that I picked up from Harbor Freight for less than 100 bucks each. (the stormcat 2 cycle) I think they are normally close to 180 but they go on sale fairly often. (and the prices get even better with super coupons) Just one of them is more than enough to power all 3 of our incubators should we have an issue this year.

My eggs are due to hatch on the 10th of this month I woke this morning to find that my incubator had somehow became unplugged but I think it was off all night the temp was 77 when I got it back on would they be okay only a week away from hatching
I noticed I'm a bit late with my thoughts. You chicks should have hatched by now.
hide.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I had bought a power pack for starting my car if my battery should ever go dead, and had a couple of inverters. The temp on my eggs 2 weeks into incubation got down to 78 degrees. I plugged the inverter into the battery pack and the incubator into the inverter and the temp came back up and held until I got my power back on.

IMG_3185.jpg

Last edited:
We had a power outage during my current (1st) hatch at 5 days in from 6:50 pm to 7:30 am the next morning. We didn't have a UPS. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance so it's too small to put water bottles in like I have read others do. I realized I had one of those portable car battery jump starter/air compressor things that had a cigarette lighter adapter type opening on it. I went to Wal-Mart and found a power converter (guess that's what it's called) that had a regular household outlet on it. I got home, plugged it in and then plugged in the incubator. VOILA, POWER! It ran from about 8pm til 1:30am before it drained the battery. At that time I lifted the lid and held it open with a pencil, got some Ziploc bags with warm water and put them on the outside of the opposite side that is open, then wrapped a towel around it. I fell asleep and at 5:30 woke up and the temp said 82...yikes! I carefully took the cig adapter thing out to my truck and then even more carefully hauled the incubator out there and plugged it in until I had to leave for work. Thankfully at 7:30am the power came back on. I was about to haul those babies to work and plug them in under my desk!!!!

Anyway, it doesn't seem to have been a bad thing as they are all alive and kicking still. We are in lockdown right now, so come on SATURDAY! Ready for some babies!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom