I'm inheriting 2 Buff Orps!!!!

Smitty's Farm

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 24, 2007
St Clair County, Il
Well a friend of mine's sister let her teenage daughters buy a few chicks last spring from Rural King, which means they are probably from Cackle Hatchery. They are 2 buff orps, a pullet & a cockerel that is about 10 months old or so. One of the daughters called me frantically today, b/c she has to get rid of them and the only other person that wanted them actually said she would put the roo into stew and keep the hen until it stopped laying. The poor girl was so upset, so I told her I would take them for her. She was so relieved.

Ok, get this.....these are practically house chickens. I crack up everytime my friend tells me stories about her sister's chickens. She lets them free range during they day, but she worried about them at night so they come into the house and sleep in seperate cages. I think they are in & out of the house all day when someone is home. She says they peck on the door w/ their beak like they are knocking when they want to come inside.

So I have to get some type of shelter together for them quickly. How long do I quarantine them away from my flock? During the day they can go in the chicken tractor for safety, b/c we have to many predators and I don't want them free ranging near my flock's run. I want to keep them seperate until I know they are ok.

I'm worried about them adjusting. How can I make the transition run smooth for them?

Thanks,
Kim

Smitty's Farm :

Well a friend of mine's sister let her teenage daughters buy a few chicks last spring from Rural King, which means they are probably from Cackle Hatchery. They are 2 buff orps, a pullet & a cockerel that is about 10 months old or so. One of the daughters called me frantically today, b/c she has to get rid of them and the only other person that wanted them actually said she would put the roo into stew and keep the hen until it stopped laying. The poor girl was so upset, so I told her I would take them for her. She was so relieved.

Ok, get this.....these are practically house chickens. I crack up everytime my friend tells me stories about her sister's chickens. She lets them free range during they day, but she worried about them at night so they come into the house and sleep in seperate cages. I think they are in & out of the house all day when someone is home. She says they peck on the door w/ their beak like they are knocking when they want to come inside.

So I have to get some type of shelter together for them quickly. How long do I quarantine them away from my flock? During the day they can go in the chicken tractor for safety, b/c we have to many predators and I don't want them free ranging near my flock's run. I want to keep them seperate until I know they are ok.

I'm worried about them adjusting. How can I make the transition run smooth for them?

Thanks,
Kim

Congrats! As far as quarantine time I think I have read 30 days to be on the safe side..I could be wrong though​

Thanks! BTW.....Lacyloo I like your new username.

I haven't even seen them yet, but my friend says that they are very pretty. They sound like they are totally social if the practically live in the house. I'll have to give them a good look over to check them out from head to toe. I'm pretty excited! I don't have any Orp and I've heard really good things about the breed.

I've heard great things about the Orps. They do sound like a comical pair!
lol.png
I'd keep them away from the flock for a month. Check them over for bugs, etc. You can keep them in a chicken tractor away from your flock but if you really want to be safe, you'll have to use two different sets of shoes for the two flocks (or bleach in and out) and change your clothes and wash your hands before handling the other flock.
I'd try and keep their living enviornment similar for the transition period, even keeping them in at night if that's what they are used to.

I don't know about how long to keep them separated from your flock. But I do know that BO are our favorite. My cousins BO roo was very friendly and protective. My son named him "chicken", very original.
big_smile.png
The BO hen that she had was very broody. She hatched out 8 chicks last spring.
jumpy.gif
This is a wonderful breed. Very friendly. Enjoy!

Oh Smittys........you will love your buffs...........I would keep them seperate for the standard 30 days ........maybe in dog crates? inside garage? or build a temp run with cage inside? away from others........ I could stare at my buff orps forever....they are a nice breed.....so pretty......congrats........
OR you could invest in chicken diapers and have house buffs?
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks for the shoes & clothes suggestions. Yea, I was just thinking about that. Man, it's going to be a long month. I'm a walking biohazzard half the time. It's going to be funny to tell DH we should keep them inside at night to acclimate them.

Quote:
I hope this roo is friendly. I have heard that this is a good family breed. I'd love one of my hens to go broody. I haven't experiened that in my flock yet.

Quote:
Thanks! The dog crate is an excellent idea! I could have them sleep in that at night and put them in my A- frame chicken tractor away from my flock during the day. Well, until I can figure out how to house them. Looks like I've got a lot of building to do this spring. I may always keep them seperate. Definitely for 30 days though. I actually do have one chicken diaper.

Back
Top Bottom