I'm just sick, the dog ate my 2 chicks.

Pics

DebbieMarler

Songster
Jul 21, 2022
Northern Arkansas
Well I came home from work to find nothing in the brooder. The border collie Got in the house, my grandson left the door open on accident. I guess I didn't deserve them, so much for being a chicken mom. I've got 22 in the incubator, it won't happen twice. I'm58, I should know better than To leave them unguarded in a cardboard box hoping To leave them unguarded in a cardboard box hoping a door would keep them safe.

I've trained my German Shepard to be the chickens protector and she does an excellent job doing so. This may sound good, but the fact is, she is a dog. She's a herder and can never be trusted.
Always, keep a vigilant eye as mine has advanced obedient training, a dog is a dog doing what dogs do. They will and can kill your beloved chickens in a very swift way. Just like that huge hawk came down and picked up a hen in front of me and my dog and there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it.
I'm sorry you lost your chicks. Good luck with the ones coming soon.

My Great Pyrenees-Husky mix killed two of my pullets that made the fatal error of squeezing under the fence into our backyard. That was 2 yrs ago. I was really diligent about making sure they couldn't get under the fence afterwards. Then she matured and lost interest in them completely and I let my guard down. In the past 6 months, I noticed chicks in the backyard at least a half dozen times and my dog didn't care a whit. Never even got up to take a step in their direction. I felt comfortable thinking my problems were past....until a month ago when our 7 month old Yorkie-Australian Shepherd mix had killed a chick that got through the fence.

I felt SO GUILTY and mad at myself because I should have KNOWN BETTER... Yeah, many of us have made stupid, preventable mistakes by being complacent.

My Great Pyrenees-Husky mix killed two of my pullets that made the fatal error of squeezing under the fence into our backyard. That was 2 yrs ago. I was really diligent about making sure they couldn't get under the fence afterwards. Then she matured and lost interest in them completely and I let my guard down. In the past 6 months, I noticed chicks in the backyard at least a half dozen times and my dog didn't care a whit. Never even got up to take a step in their direction. I felt comfortable thinking my problems were past....until a month ago when our 7 month old Yorkie-Australian Shepherd mix had killed a chick that got through the fence.

I felt SO GUILTY and mad at myself because I should have KNOWN BETTER... Yeah, many of us have made stupid, preventable mistakes by being complacent.
I'm happy and sad for you. Yes, we never know. Dogs will be dogs no matter the amount of training. Just something clicks and boom done!

Back
Top Bottom