I'm looking for the best way to mark newly hatched chicks!

chrissieg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Glorious Devon, England
I have some of my own eggs hatching and some bought in. At the moment I know which are which from the eggs, but would like to keep a check on future progress and I feel they are all going to be yellow! I can only think of wool round their feet at the moment, but have you any other suggestions?

They do make leg bands that are for chicks - they are bits of spiral plastic and they come in a wide variety of colors. You do have to change the bands periodically as they grow, but they are very simple and inexpensive.
Some people punch hole patterns in the webbing of their chick's toes; I can't personally condone that method because I am too much of a softee, but people I know who do it say it is no worse than piercing your ear, and they like it because it permanently identifies the birds.

Thanks ever so. Of course! I've remembered I've actually got some of the little spiral rings, put to one side as I thought I'd never use them. They were found in a wellington boot bought at an agricultural merchant....... see it pays never to throw ANYTHING away! I only need a couple as well. I'll warm them up to make them extra soft and have a go!

Back
Top Bottom