Im new and have questions

BarnCats

Chirping
Sep 6, 2018
Maryland
I am new ti the chicken tender world as of February 2018. I got 4 chicks 2 pullets and 2 straight runs. Luck was on my side and wound up with 4 hens.
I was only certain of the 1 girl as a barred rock and the other 3 Im not sure because I thought I was getting 2 leg horns until they laid brown eggs, either way it didn't matter :)
How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Ive done some looking up for different things and this forum always pops up...

I currently live in an extra unit that resembles a barn with my boyfriend, daughter and 2 cats, hence the username.

So I ultimately decided to join this forum because I had a recent death with one of my girls :-(
I am pretty sure its the heat but it could have possibly been the food they had. I've returned it and got a new bag just in case. But I still have 1 girl who is not doing well so heres where I need HELP:
She has a red comb still but it is DEEP RED (not white) at the tips and shes very lethargic. Her belly is squishy like shes bloated.
Im thinking its from dehydration from Monday into Tuesday.
My girl was found dead on a Tuesday and its now Thursday. Shes still very low activity. I have given her electrolytes but I'm not sure she has eaten. she also has a slight head twitch? :(
Am I making her suffer or can she possibly recover from this situation.

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
I am sorry for your loss.
What exactly do you feed your birds on a daily basis?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP

I feed them Purina layer pellets. I had to get the organic version back in the second week of August. I just finished up their bag and gave them the organic bag a few days before Tuesday.
Not sure if it was the food. Could have been a bad batch. I wasn’t taking chances so I returned it.

Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of the hen ?
The one on the far left is the sick one. I’ll get a better picture later toda. I’ve moved them into my garage for the day. It’s a hot one again.

Attachments

• BA8ECB2A-78C1-43E6-8B7B-1454D7334435.jpeg
    BA8ECB2A-78C1-43E6-8B7B-1454D7334435.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom