I'm new to ALLL of this.!

BrookLynn140

Hatching
Oct 6, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Hello.! I have been using this site for the past couple days and decided to make an account because I knew I'd have many questions.
About a week and a half ago my sister got a Rhode Island Red Chicken and we read that they don't do good alone, and that she was too big to mix with the small chicks that the pet and feed store by my house had. They were all saying how my chick Providence would kill the chick and to not mix, but then one girl told us that ducks and chickens are fine so that means I got a magpie duckling. Named him Abraham(cause his "top hat") Or at least she called him a magpie and she seemed to know a lot about ducks. I was too excited about getting a duck that I didn't think to ask a couple questions... How old is my little Magpie(I'll add a pic)? Is he even a magpie.? And do ducks and or chickens need shots to be house pets.? I have two dogs and a cat that seem to be completely fine with the birds coming into our lives; and that's awesome, but I don't want anyone to get sick.!

That's definitely a Magpie. By the looks of him, he's about a week old. As for your last question, I'm not sure as I've never had house-poultry.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree it looks like a Magpie and no more than a week. I just adore the little black and yellow webs on Magpie ducklings!
love.gif

I've never heard of any shots required for fowl, other than the vaccines hatcheries give at hatch. You will want to be careful that the duckling doesn't get everything in the brooder wet because chicks don't do well when constantly wet. The duckling will also need additional niacin that the chick doesn't. However, I don't think it will harm the chick to get extra.

Here is a link to the duck page sticky. Lots of great threads that will cover pretty much everything you need to know to get started. You'll definitely want to check out Raising and Caring for Ducklings (third from bottom). https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

Thank you to you both.! I didn't really want to wait 2 weeks until the feather came in. I wanted at least some type of knowledge on how old he could be. The chicks they were selling next to him were only 3 days, so I figured he was about the same age.
I don't keep the duckling and chicken staying together. I'm still a little sketch with the size difference, so honestly I don't let Abe leave my side until I know he can protect himself. I'd feel terrible if anything happened to him.
The black spots on his webs and his bill are the reason we picked him out; he was the only one with those markings. I LOVE it.!

I have a question, I have domesticated ducks and I'm not sure if they have clipped wings but will I have to let them out to fly south or not

I have a question, I have domesticated ducks and I'm not sure if they have clipped wings but will I have to let them out to fly south or not
First off, whether or not your ducks can fly will depend on the breed. Most of the domestic breeds are too heavy to fly more than a couple of feet but others can fly very well. Mallards and Muscovy are probably the best flyers.

If you raised them from a young age and didn't clip the wing then they aren't clipped. If you bought them as adults they might have been clipped. However, if they are molting or just finished molting then they will/would have dropped the clipped feathers and are growing new primary wing feathers. Which would mean the wings are no longer clipped.

Since your ducks are domestic you don't want them flying south. They won't know how to survive in the wild and will likely either starve to death or get eaten by a predator. If your ducks are a breed that can fly you will want to clip the wings to make sure they can't fly.

First off, whether or not your ducks can fly will depend on the breed. Most of the domestic breeds are too heavy to fly more than a couple of feet but others can fly very well. Mallards and Muscovy are probably the best flyers.

If you raised them from a young age and didn't clip the wing then they aren't clipped. If you bought them as adults they might have been clipped. However, if they are molting or just finished molting then they will/would have dropped the clipped feathers and are growing new primary wing feathers. Which would mean the wings are no longer clipped.

Since your ducks are domestic you don't want them flying south. They won't know how to survive in the wild and will likely either starve to death or get eaten by a predator. If your ducks are a breed that can fly you will want to clip the wings to make sure they can't fly.

Thank you soooo much that helped a lot but how do I tell if their wings are clipped?

Back
Top Bottom