I'm new to ALLLL of this.!

BrookLynn140

Hatching
Oct 6, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Hello.! I have been using this site for the past couple days and decided to make an account because I knew I'd have many questions.
About a week and a half ago my sister got a Rhode Island Red Chicken and we read that they don't do good alone, and that she was too big to mix with the small chicks that the pet and feed store by my house had. They were all saying how my chick Providence would kill the chick and to not mix, but then one girl told us that ducks and chickens are fine so that means I got a magpie duckling. Named him Abraham(cause his "top hat") Or at least she called him a magpie and she seemed to know a lot about ducks. I was too excited about getting a duck that I didn't think to ask a couple questions... How old is my little Magpie(I'll add a pic)? Is he even a magpie.? And do ducks and or chickens need shots to be house pets.? I have two dogs and a cat that seem to be completely fine with the birds coming into our lives; and that's awesome, but I don't want anyone to get sick.!

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Sadly, I know nothing about ducks. You could try posting your question on the duck forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks - it seems that most duck peeps have (at some point or other) kept both chickens and ducks, so they will be the best placed to advise you.

Best wishes
CT

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you decided to join!
yesss.gif

Yes, you are correct- chickens should not be kept alone! They need a companion, I have to apologize as well, I don't know much about ducks at all. But the link @CTKen gave you should be helpful. And a lot of the members I know on here keep ducks and chickens together. Have a great time on here! Feel free to ask questions!
frow.gif

Greetings from Kansas, BrookLynn140, and :welcome! What a cute little duckling....like he's wearing a little tuxedo! I have had chickens and ducks together....ducks a far messier but they seem to get along well. The only caution I'd add is an amorous drake who attempts to breed with a hen chicken can cause the chicken a serious injury. Just something to keep in mind. I don't know for sure but I don't think shots are necessary to keep poultry around cats and dogs. At least mine never seem the worse for wear. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Ducks can provide companionship for chickens quite well, but be warned, they like to make a mess of their water, and by extension their brooder. You will have to clean it very frequently to keep it dry and in proper condition for a chick. As for the age of the duck, I would guess no more than a week? I haven't a clue about duck breeds, but the ducks forum should be able to help you there.

Thank you all.! I went to the duck side of this site and figured out that yes he is about a week or less old and that people don't get shots for them. I do know that ducks are super messy; I've been cleaning poop up constantly. I feel like a human tissue dispenser/pooper scooper.! Haha.

Howdy there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us! You have one more adorable little duck there! I am glad you found the duck page, and I hope you enjoy BYC as much as we have!

Back
Top Bottom