I'm not feeding my chicks medicated feed, but I'm worried about coccidiosis. What do I do?

WingedFish

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
So I just brought home a flock of eight chicks (a day or two old), and I'm feeding them non-medicated food (Dumor brand). But I worry about coccidiosis. So do I need to get medicated feed? Or can I just put a little dirt from outside into their pen (it's too cold to let them out, and they're too young anyway) so they can build resistance? Or is there another method?

I really need some help, so replies would be much accepted.

Thanks!

Hi &
welcome-byc.gif
You can put a small amount of dirt in their brooder and add Apple Cider Vinegar( un-pasturized) 1 tablespoon to a quart waterer. The water/ACV should be changed for fresh daily. If you want Durmyacin can be added to their water to prevent cocci. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754636/duramyacin-mix#post_10690929
Good Luck

Duramycin? For cocci? I don't think so. I think you meant Corid which is amprolium and the same stuff put in most medicated chick feeds. It's usually found in the cattle aisle in powder form and I'm sure you can find chicken dosing instructions if you search. It can be mixed weak for preventative use (like they have in medicated feed) or stronger to treat illness.

Back
Top Bottom