I'm so confused

This is why it's a good idea to get into the habit of checking for eggs and bringing them in a few times a day. Golden Comets (Red Sex Links, Red Stars - they have several names for basically the same variety) aren't known for going broody, but that doesn't mean they won't. But it certainly doesn't sound like your birds are truly broody. It sounds more like they just like being in the nest whether there are eggs in there or not. Sleeping in the nests is a bad idea - the eggs you do get will be so covered in poop that they'll look pretty unappetizing, and you run the risk of broken eggs in there as well. If they were truly broody, they wouldn't want to get off the nests at all during the day, or if they did, it would just be long enough for a quick dust bath, bite to eat, drink of water, then right back on. They'd be puffing up and growling at you when you got too close. (I know, there are broody hens out there who are so docile that folks can do anything to them while they're incubating, but most often the hen is extremely protective)

First thing I would do is get into the habit of gathering eggs frequently. Don't let eggs accumulate. Then at night in the dark, go out and physically take them off the nests, then put them up on the roosts. You may need to do this for a few nights. You'll know if they get really serious about brooding, and at that point you can continue to gather eggs, hold them, and when you are comfortable with the number you have you can slip them under so she can begin the job of becoming a mother. For now, though, it sounds like they are just comfortable, and they aren't going to give that comfort up easily. The fact that they are still laying is another tip-off that they aren't broody - when they get ready to set eggs they stop laying.

If by any chance the eggs they are currently sitting on are fertile, I don't think I'd eat them. They may have started developing from the warmth of the hen's body laying on them, even with the girls on and off the nest, and that wouldn't be too appetizing. But I'm easily grossed out, so it's up to you. I'd pitch, then start over, getting them off the nests except to lay, and I'd be removing eggs from them as soon as I see them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom