I'm starting to think I may have a rooster or two?!

Kandire

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Ohio
I have a group of 4 month old EE's and I'm beginning to think at least one is a rooster. I've tried to do a little research on my own on how to tell, but I'm still not sure. This is only my second year of getting chickens and I've not had a rooster yet so any input would be greatly appreciated!

This is the main one that I'm thinking may be a rooster. It's bigger than the others and has a lot more color.

Here's a good picture to show all the colors and the tail.

The black and white one also has me a little confused, she seems to have one really long tail feather that's kind of hard to see in this picture. She's not fond of pictures and this was the only one where she wasn't running!

The red bird is definitely a cockerel. The black and white bird appears to be a pullet, usually EE boys of that color will leak red in their shoulders/wings.

Thank you! I've had my suspicions for a couple weeks now so it's nice to have a definitive answer. Do you know if having a rooster will make a difference with integrating them into my current flock?

The red bird is definitely a cockerel. The black and white bird appears to be a pullet, usually EE boys of that color will leak red in their shoulders/wings.

I agree. The reason your black and white EE pullet's comb is so red is that she's close to laying. Having a cockerel shouldn't make integrating them into your flock any more difficult since you don't have any other cockerels already in your flock. Just be sure and integrate all of the new birds slowly and carefully using the "look but don't touch" method. There is a good article at https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens/ explaining how to add new chickens to an already existing flock.

Thanks! The two flocks have been in separate runs right next to each other for a few weeks while the babies got bigger. I've started letting them free range together when I have time to sit out and watch them. It's been going ok I think :)

Thanks! The two flocks have been in separate runs right next to each other for a few weeks while the babies got bigger. I've started letting them free range together when I have time to sit out and watch them. It's been going ok I think
smile.png

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that things are going well. :eek:)

Thank you! I've had my suspicions for a couple weeks now so it's nice to have a definitive answer. Do you know if having a rooster will make a difference with integrating them into my current flock?
yes the cockerel will make it a bit harder to introduce

Back
Top Bottom