I'm stumped and lost and I am seriously thinking about culling my whole flock. Please help.

If mareks is the underlying issue, can you rebuild coops and runs somewhere else on your property away from your contaminated coops for your new birds? Dont let them free range. Then you can go back to using your original coops in a couple of years.

Its hard. I know. My breeding program was for selling chicks and hatching eggs. All had to go. Sounds like you have mareks AND some sort of CRD. Both are a death sentence in the breeding world.

I’m dealing with infectious disease issues too - it really sucks!!! Necropsy of recently dead chickens really is the best way to get a definitive diagnosis. However, it can take several tries before you have a definite answer. Were the necropsies done at your state animal diagnostic lab? They will have the best resources to answer your diagnostic dilemma. When we first diagnosed Mareks, it took three necropsies before we could put the picture together. We also kept coming up with random diagnoses, but it turns out that the underlying condition was always Marek’s disease. This disease immunosuppresses the birds, so they die of any infectious disease, like coccidiosis, crop thrush, mites, etc. It can be confusing for the pathologist because these other diseases are also present.

If you’ve had positive test results for Mycoplasma and Marek’s, then you have both in your flock and they underlie all of your other problems. Mycoplasma is vertically transmitted, so you can’t get away from it in your breeding program; even hatching eggs will carry it. Marek’s is not vertically transmitted, but it stays in the area for a long time, so you’d have to wait about 18 mo after culling your flock before reintroducing birds. Infectious disease really sucks.
Yes, the necropsies were done at the state poultry diagnostics lab. Long drive and I paid for it, but I was hoping for definitive answers and or treatment advice... I badly want to save the rest of my flock. How is mycoplasma tested?

are they being given enough space? they could also be battling malnutrition and its making their immune systems weak. the bone snapping thing makes me think he or he may not have enough nutrient/calcium.

pls keep fighting its the best u can do
I have about 30 adult birds in an 8x8x8 coop and a 10x10x6 run attached and normally free range almost every evening for a few hours. I'm on 2 acres. I did the math awhile back and I believe that's more than the recommended space per bird.
I also thought malnutrition, maybe some weren't getting to the food? So I bought 2 big feeders and usually throw a smaller one or two in. Bought an extra big waterer as well, and will throw an extra smaller one or two in if I'm not seeing some of them drinking. I feed purina and have always had great results. I tried switching to a cheaper local brand and had poor results. I also bake and throw back their egg shells and I've set out oyster shells for free choice jic and they barely touch them.
I thought she just injured herself jumping down from the roost or something, separated her as soon as I saw she was favoring one side and it actually seemed to get worse after separating.

I'm no guru. nor do I claim to be..is there any.i mean any chance of rodents ? cholera acts in the manner your describing. cholera is caused by rodent urine and feces.
a few dead this day. a couple the next day. and so on.
2 products for normal bacteria NOT CHOLERA is oxine added to the water and denegaurd for respitory infection.
mereks will cripple a bird. some will recover and remain carriers.
cocci is very strong and continues to get stronger. I strongly reccomed the powder 2 tbl spoons per gal. yreat again 10 days later.
for overload of worm flubenzanole found at tractor supply in the horse section.
these are just my opinions
they have worked for me.

I do switch between adding oxine to water and vitamins and electrolytes. I'm surrounded by fields so rodents is possible, although I check on them throughout the night as well and I've never found any. Maybe I'll give deneguard a shot. It can't hurt at this point. I can't do corid and deneguard together though, correct?

If mareks is the underlying issue, can you rebuild coops and runs somewhere else on your property away from your contaminated coops for your new birds? Dont let them free range. Then you can go back to using your original coops in a couple of years.

Its hard. I know. My breeding program was for selling chicks and hatching eggs. All had to go. Sounds like you have mareks AND some sort of CRD. Both are a death sentence in the breeding world.
I'm seriously thinking I might need to go that route but I'm dreading it.

Yes, the necropsies were done at the state poultry diagnostics lab. Long drive and I paid for it, but I was hoping for definitive answers and or treatment advice... I badly want to save the rest of my flock. How is mycoplasma tested?

Blood test or swab.
If u look up the symptoms u can know without paying for testing. All of the Cronic Respiratory Diseases are not curable.
You can treat the symptoms but they will all be carriers for life.

Back
Top Bottom