I'm totally stumped on their sex

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
9 weeks old. Do y'all see any pullets? I'm really confused on the white one. The mom is pictured (with arrow) and she has a large comb. Thanks for any advice y'all!

I think it's the same white one in all pictures, and I defiantly think that's a boy, at this young of an age to have those big comb and waddles. Even though it's a white leghorn and both male and females combs and waddles get big, I am pretty positive that that's a cockerel. Sorry. :( At least the white leghorns are very very beautiful roosters! I'll take him if you don't want him! ;) :p

I've been on your other post and I'm glad you gave the age here; it really helps in sexing the birds. You have a White Leghorn cockerel and the rest are all pullets.

Oh goodness. :( I already have 13 roosters... I love them all so much. They all run out to meet me, eat out of my hand, and are so very sweet. PT tested flock. I'm a member of the ABA and APA.
I worked my tail end off to pay someone to "poultry babysit" for me, so I could go see my hubby while he was gone active duty Air Force. ... she didn't notice my broody hens, and I couldn't kill the babies in the eggs once I returned and saw that the eggs were already developing..
Someone said in a reply that they would take the cockerel. . I would give him to you. But I am hesitant, because of possible him being killed to be eaten. .... they are all very much too sweet for that. .. I'd rather keep the cockerel ' s than them being killed. .. even for consumption. .. they are honestly too sweet for that. They are so loving, and really want to hang out with any person that comes along.. it's just hard, because I know there comes a point where I can't keep everyone. Especially the roosters :(

No I understand where your coming from, I don't ever kill my chickens! I already have 4 roosters myself, one being a brown leghorn. That's as many roosters as I can keep, or handle for the time being. If you need to rehome him there's a rehoming thread on here, maybe you can go there and place an add firmly stating that you want to find him a good home (where he won't get eaten). It's important you emphasize that. Hope everything works out okay. :) He's a beautiful young boy, white leghorns actually turn out to be gorgeous roosters! And have been known to win a lot of contests around here. :)

Back
Top Bottom